How Much Does it Cost to Marinize a Kubota?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CatBuilder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Yah but they still go for about half that new off the shelf. So why not just loose the wet exhaust and save a small fortune ?

If you deal with the thrust issue before it gets to the engine then there's no need for heavier bearings in the engine. Something like a v belt drive ( after all it is only 20 or so HP ) and there's no real thrust going onto the crank. Belts and pulley's are cheap and they're not hard to line up at all. Keeps all that bother about the bore hole being perfectly lined up in the trash can where it belongs.

I'm no expert on marine applications but I'm damn good at finding cheap solutions. So if its not the better option to deal with a more standard and cheaper engine I'm really curious as to why ?

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Cat needs the Kubota to run HVAC and a generator...that's it.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just for info, no transmission, no thrust issue and no prop attached to this engine, post #3 and #20 . . . . .

P.S. - Was looking up the quotes while West above posted . . . . . :)

4. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

I did.
    using the trivalent.
    a single motor, more powerful.
    compressed air, oil and electricity in a single skid.
    The skid-cooled walls.
    Wally has already made​​.
    Even Aicon, but there is a different thing.

5. Angélique

Didn't work out the weight but to me it looks like . . . .

Two outboards + small genset + gasoline tank + diesel tank + propane bottles.

v.s.​

Two retractable electric aziprops + bigger genset + electric controls + bigger diesel tank.​

My first assumption is the latter is lighter if not make it a hybrid but just diesel electric so it doesn't need much extra batteries.

But if this is proven 200 times wrong I'll take your word for it :)

Cheers,
    Angel

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My bad, didn't notice the caveats concerning the motor. Must have missed an entire page or something.

Oh well even more reason to just use a simple dry system.

I'd also look at the farm supply pages, thats where you get all the small diesels selling anyway and if slightly used will do, then why not. There's a local rag around here called the fence post thats a gold mine for farm related equipment, trailers particularly but engines come up all the time. Mostly off gattors and lawnmowers but stuff in the 20 hp range all the time. Also I'd be looking at diesel gen sets out of the same sources. Lots of folks have dirt without power and they often use a gen set to power whatever they've got on it.

cheers
    B

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Par, $8000 was for the Beta version. I hadn't talked to Nanni yet. I will do so and get back to the thread. I don't need a transmission since the engine will only be used for house Hvac, watermaker, dc generation and hot water.

Angelique: I designed a whole diesel electric system a month or two ago. The boat requires a minimum of a 20kw (actually larger would be safer) generator for propulsion. Electric engines are hundreds of pounds in the size required. A 20kw gen weighs somewhere in the 600-900lb category. Each electric motor is 200-300lbs. Electric cables are very heavy (large) and you still have to add props in and rig up a retractable system for them. Electric motors and compressors are extremely heavy for Hvac, watermakers and you need to buy a battery charger. You'd be looking at about 3000lbs all in. Also, 20kw generator would be underloaded running an air conditioner or a watermaker. Waste of fuel and waste of generator. It doesn't work here.

Lastly, it us inefficient to convert energy from chemical to mechanical to electric to mechanical to hvac. Directly fromom chemical to mechanical to Hvac is more efficient.

Both outboards together weigh 350 or so. This small kubota weighs the same, and all HP is used. No heavy electric compressors for HVAC, no battery charger, no electric motor to power a watermaker pump. No heavy wiring (all 24VDC).

Liquid stored for energy is all roughly the same. You'd need a propane bottle, gasoline tank and diesel tank. However, each could be smaller than the colossal diesel tank you'd need to make up the same energy. It makes no difference if you have 60 gallons of diesel vs 20 gallons diesel, 30 gallons of gasoline and 10 gallons of propane. It's all basically the same amount of fuel, just different types.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Having one fuel source is a good idea, rather then 2 or three. I see no advantage to a multiple fuel arrangement, just added complexity and complication, not to mention plumbing, monitoring, stowage, etc.

The Nanni without the ZF would be in the 3 - 4K range. I don't think they'll sell you a fully stripped down engine, but my supplier would, who is a Beta and Nanni dealer. In fact, this outfit (out of Baltimore) uses only Twin Disk trannies, which is a real plus (which you apparently don't need).

If you purchased a used engine, you could save huge, but it means a fair bit of leg work, fabrication and at least some new marine parts. If it was me, I'd try to find a spent marine application, that needs a set of bearings and rings. You'll still have to change the manifolds and pumps just to have peace of mind, but you could get one, with the parts for cheap in this market. I wouldn't wait too long on this too, as I'm seeing movement in the market, suggesting the industry is starting to spring back to life and prices will go up as well as availability going down, as all the deals are grabbed up.

9. CatBuilder

Yeah, I know.

I'd love to have it all run on diesel. That was the dream. The dream didn't work out though due to it being a performance catamaran with strict weight requirements. I sure hate renting cars to fill up propane tanks. Having gasoline and diesel isn't too bad, but I sure would have enjoyed diesel outboards, if they were being made.

Truth is, it's the market. They don't make a diesel outboard that works for this application. That adds gasoline to the diesel/propane mix.

Not much I can really do about it.

BUT... PAR - would you be able to PM me the information for that dealer? I'd be looking to buy the engine new. I want to get a few nice, carefree years of not fixing so many things. The luxury of a brand new boat! :D

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Its a shame air cooled won't fit the bill,I know where to get Lombardinis. 23 hp/200 lb for ~$2k and 7.5 hp for like $600.

They used to have Kubotas..maybe you could check with them

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I have seriously looked at those and I give them a two thumbs up

anyone have first hand experience with those ?????

12. Angélique

This is supposed to be a comfy charter guest boat, what about the noise of an air cooled . . . ? ?

Cheers,
    Angel

13. CatBuilder

Thing is, I just have no experience with air cooled on a boat.

How do you cool it? Standard radiator? Where do you put that so it's not ugly? Keel cooler only?

What about marinizing a Lombardini?

And PAR... any chance you could PM me the place to pick up the Nanni?

I'll PM you in a bit if I see that you missed me asking here in the thread.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

its not a problem, just jacket the exhaust tube with a fluid of some kind you want hot and it quiets down the system better than any muffler you ever met.

I'll get a sound bite of my system before and after oils in the heat exchanger

Its an amazing difference

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.