Home made trim. Original idea?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by stratus5, Oct 2, 2005.

1. stratus5

stratus5 Junior Member

I have an idea, am I re-inventing something I can already buy?
    I would like a few degrees of trim, controllable from the seat.
    My outboard does not have trim, my boat can't handle the 40~50lb. electro-hydraulic trim with 5" setback.

I want to take a motorcycle hydralic brake assembly, or something similar, and arrange it so an input by me on the master cyl. will actuate a slave piston, say, a disk caliper cut in half, placed where the adjustment pin goes on the outboard, will push the motor out, say, 1/2in. (johnson 75)
    I get VERY different results moving the pin just one hole. This could be adjusted while underway, with a simple, lightweight device, instead of heavy motors & pumps. So I would maybe twist a large knob on the dash, pushing the master cyl. instead of an electric switch, to kick the motor back for speed, then let it back in for handling.
    This must have been done before, it's so simple.
    Any input?

-Dan
    What would MacGiver do? :idea:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.