Ganging Outboards - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by CatBuilder, Jan 14, 2012.

1. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Yes i totally agree but air conditioners and generators etc etc ???:confused:

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

As for me I'm sick and staying away from other people..

By cool I was meaning not much sun available....when behind an island or in a fjord the sun is on the panels for a short time.
    When the Kubota blows up some year,I'll look into it..thanks guys,gives me something to look at.

A stepped cover could easily be controlled with a lever or 2 off the ram or the outboard bracket. Move the ram,or maybe use a linear gate controller.
    All constructed strongly of course.

2 minutes on Paint...something like this,roughly.

Attached Files:

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Catbuilder

Agreed re the ambient temperature. We had no problems running a fridge/freezer on solar power until we got to Panama when the fridge would be running all the time. A big difference to even the West Indies. The Bahamas are cooler again. And in the PNW we find that a gallon of milk kept in the bilge stays cool enough not to go off until we have drunk it.

I refer you to post 74 last paragraph!!!

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

4. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

You will need to be able to change props on the 9.9. With the 60 running at any speed the 9.9 will be very under-pitched, and contribute very little. Maybe there are quick change options for 9.9 props? But a bit of a hassle.

If you want 70, just upsize the larger motor.

5. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

That first para was my thinking as well

Richard Woods

6. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I don't want 70. Just 60. The 9.9 is for maneuvering.

7. WestVanHan

16 hours includes the 3 hours of twilight? I'm amazed the panels can use much of that

Thats great,but don't try that with meat.

"IIRC the Volvo race boats have conventional prop shafts that fold up flush into the hull. Most of the 60ft racing trimarans have exposed shafts.
    I will try to look those up. This would be the holy grailk if I could figure out how to do it or buy something off the shelf. Any links or photos to this? "

I can see adapting surface drive hydraulics with a swivel.

8. CatBuilder

A little late, but thanks for that idea for the outboard pivots, WestVan.

9. CatBuilder

Another interesting way to mount an outboard.

Don't they overheat if mounted like this?

[​IMG]

10. WestVanHan

I would assume they have an open vent.

If there was a way to engineer the bottom of the drive leg so it could extend down on a bellowed and sealed spline.
    Engine could be hard mounted,and only the drive lowered vertically 2-3'.

Wonder if there is some industrial drive out there to be modified?

11. CatBuilder

I guess that might be that little crack of light you can see in the top of that outboard box... looks like it might be a hatch that opens.

Hmmm.... you are very creative, Mr. Han. That would be really cool if the drive leg could extend, rather than moving the power head. That would give you the reach down into the water that is needed, while at the same time keeping the power head up out of the water (which is always a plus). :D

So you would basically need a drive shaft that could extend, along the axis of rotation - and a water pump to get the water up to the head for cooling.

Interesting... very interesting...

12. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Outboard leg extensions seem to be only about 4". Why couldn't you customize adding a couple of feet to these relatively low power units? A bearing could included in the extension to manage shaft flex/vibration. With the WestVan pivot, they could be mounted near the bridgedeck/hull join. They would be well clear of the water when not in use, but then immersed deep enough to avoid aeration.

13. CatBuilder

Exactly, Brian.

This is probably the most sensible way to achieve the design goals of propulsion for this boat.

I agree.

There are some things I'd have to deal with (shift linkage, cooling water flow, shaft wobble), but none of that is terribly complicated.

And yes.... they could be mounted by the bridgedeck/hull join. I think the telescoping drive shaft would be even better than a solid extension as well (already saw they make these).

I think we really have something here. :eek:

14. WestVanHan

There's a few things I have come up with that are on the market,you have likely used a couple of them-thought of this years ago,but the market's too small to pursue.

It would likely be simpler to have the drive swing down.
    When it swings down to it's stop,I can envision the drive contacting via a dog clutch/flex coupler system.That way,no CV joints.
    Would have a latching/locking mechanism of course.

When it's up,it could go into a recesssed housing.Make you own leg out of say...4" x 8" .25" wall aluminum tubing..be strong enough?
    Run bearings and the shaft inside.

Also,the leg could swivel up to the side,or fore or aft

15. CatBuilder

So just a mega-long outboard leg extension then?

You are suggesting one that swings, but there isn't even a need, since just about every outboard there is (of this size) has a power tilt/trim mechanism built in.

It could simply be a huge extension that will allow the power head to be mounted up high on a real mount, then the long leg (as described) could be moved to the water by the existing trim mechanism.

Does that make sense?

So the powerhead would mount somewhere by the hull/bridgedeck join, as Brian was saying, but I could then "tilt" this massive drive leg up out of the water when sailing. When motoring just tilt it back down into the water.

All I would have to do then (aside from modify a pair of brand new outboards with warranty) is find a way to mount them so they were kind of hidden from view.

Aesthetics is the last concern for me, but it is a concern.