Exciting New EPS Thruster (& Propulsion)

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by brian eiland, Nov 16, 2005.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Perhaps we are talking about the same vessel that I mentioned back in posting number #51 on this subject thread.

Turns out I was incorrect suggesting that these were propulsion units. It appears as though they were just bow and stern 'thrusters'

2. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Hi Brian
    Yes
    On other media it did look like it had rim drive main propulsion?
    I have since seen a little about local ferries in scandanavia with rim drives set up as azi main propulsion

3. brian eiland

I was very excited about the way things were moving along with new developments in those early days (~2008), but the world economy (and the mega yacht construction world simultaneously) appeared to really slowed down in those following years. The rim drive technology seems to have fallen off accordingly.
    Now the interest seems to be getting back on track. Should be interesting.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

5. brian eiland

Thanks for that reference publication. I had forgotten all about it.

I found this article on their pages:
    http://www.mpropulsion.com/news/view,thruster-evolution-revolves-around-efficiency_39242.htm

6. brian eiland

Attached Files:

7. Kai Rabenstein

Kai Rabenstein Junior Member

Interesting thread - a little strange that the marine industry (including the leisure sector) are soooo slow to pick up on promising new technologies even when the advantages seem rather obvious! I am planning forward towards commissioning a 40 foot passage making trawler catamaran sometime in the next 5 years, and would love it to be powered largely (or even entirely) electrically. To this end there are obvious offers - such as the inboard and outboard motors currently available from Torqeedo, AquaWatt and OceanVolt (I am planning for approx. 2 x 55kW/80HP).

However there are now also options involving rim driven propulsion (RDP) units from 2 German manufacturers, Voith and Silentdynamics delivering similar thrust. Why not even combine RDP and outboards, or be ahead of the game entirely with contra rotating RDP units? These are genuinely exciting times, and a leisure craft of the type I have in mind could presumably even generate an income stream as a green technology demonstrator ...?

8. Kai Rabenstein

Kai Rabenstein Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.