Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by WinFlex, Jul 2, 2002.

1. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

My inboard - outboard 25' 1984 Grady White Sailfish is a great boat. The engine, however, is its weak spot. I had it rebuilt, with little improvement. I am looking to install a new engine while keeping the current out-drive, which is a stock Volvo Penta (year 1984). I am looking at both diesel and gasoline engines ranging between 280 and 350 HP.

What would you reccomend, and which engines are actually compatible with the drive?

Thanks for your advice, Felix

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I dont think with that drive you can use another brand of engine. if it were a bravo you could but i'm not sure about the volvo sorry.

3. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

well, i didn't have a penta engine on it in the first place. back in 84, volvo didn't produce V8's, so instead, a chevy 5.7 with volvo headers was installed.... If the chevy fit, I'm almost certain that there must be other brands of engines that will fit... how about the new line of 2002 5.7 liter v8 gasoline engines produced by volvo penta?

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Do you know exactly what model of leg you currently have?

Personally, I would be replacing the whole lot - I've seen any number of boats where people have tried to repower on the cheap. It invariably ends up less than successful. And if you hunt around a little, you might find that you can buy a complete engine / drive package for only marginally more than the motor alone. That way you will avoid any possible warranty problems and will be comfortable in the knoweldge that your entire system is compatable

5. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Me Too

I agree with Will.

Especially since the DuoProp drives provide so much better performance. You would be throwing good money after bad.

Get a new engine with electronic fuel injection (EFI) and a new drive with DuoProp. You get more reliable operation, 10% more power from the engine and 15% more thrust from the drive.

You only problem will be finding something to hang onto when you pull the throttle back. :D

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

6. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Ditto

7. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

Volvo w/ volvo

Thanks for all the advice! Because I am a little short on cash these days, I have been thinking about keeping the drive and getting the new Volvo 5.7GXi. I just e-mailed volvo asking if the two systems are compatible.
    If I do end up upgrading to a dual prop drive, how much of a price increase would it be from just getting the engine alone? I've been looking for prices, but I saw one site offering the engine alone for $8,500. How much would a cheap engine/drive combo set me back?

8. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Volvo Stern Drive Prices

Here is a site http://www.warmarine.com/GasolineEngines.htm

They have the 5.7 GSi Bobtail (Engine Only) 280 V8 EFI FUEL SYS is $7,005.00

the 5.7 GSi / DP DP Drive & Shield 280 V8 EFI FUEL is $11,215.00

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

9. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

Tanks!

Thanks for that price overview! If anyone else knows of such inexpensive places, please post a link!

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

PCM is another source of marine engines. I have installed many of them in Volvo Penta and Mercruisers. What is the problem with your engine? A reputable shop will rebuild your engine and give a warranty. I usually give one year.

11. yipster

yipster designer

the way Portager here mentions i've been with my 88 sundancer 27 and found just what he said. but bravo3 legs do weight more than alfa's on a transom. on a single engine i would definitly go for duoprops and you just might miss the risers, great! check http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1087

:cool: yipster

12. johndezman

johndezman Junior Member

if it were me i'd go buy a 383 short block, get my heads refurbished and go

13. Jack Kinsey

Jack Kinsey New Member

In the same boat/an suggestions?

I have a 1982 22' Bayliner Trophy with the volvo 125A and 270 outdrive. The engine seized and shed the timing belt. I haven't check to see what caused the failure with the engine.
    But I'm considering changing the engine and out drive at the
    same time. I talked to Bayliner who said I couldn't put any
    thing bigger in the way of power. I'd kind of like to move up
    to the V-6 with the duo-prop I/O. But I'm wondering if I
    should stick with Volvo or change to Mercury? If I have to
    stay with the 4 banger I'll stick with the volvo to keep the
    cone clutch. Any recommendations would be helpful.

14. Glasply

Glasply New Member

I have a 1976 19Ft Glasply cuddy cabin with an AQ 170 B volvo engine and 280 outdrive. The exhaust manifold needs replacing and I think the head is cracked. It is sea water cool. I imagine the block is not far from being rusted out also. I am going to repower but I need to know my options, the outdrive is in good shape.

15. Mr

Does anyone know thw fuel consumption of this motor 2001 Volvo 5.7GXI DP

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.