Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Propulsion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 15
engine replacement

hi, a friend wants to put a ford 2.5 t d transit engine in his boat he has a knackered ford 2.5 d i he hopes that the existing heat exchanger will cope but i have my doughts should he put a cooler on the turbo to inlet manifold ? as the turbo i think may run hotter does anyone have experience of this type of conversion .
cheers
nick

Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Rep: 1894 Posts: 9,776
Turbo installation on boats need a well designed exhaust. The engineroom will not have the same ventilation as a road vehicle, which may cause extremely high temperatures. From what you are saying, he is replacing a normally aspirated engine with a turbocharged. If the turbo is liquid cooled, he will need a bigger heat exchanger. The raw water pump may not have enough flow also.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 15
engine replacement

thank you gonzo for your reply yes I think he may be opening a can of worms changing to a turbo charged engine unless he addresses all the problems like extra heat , I suggested he might need a cooler on the turbo to inlet manifold as I have seen a few turbo marine engines and they all seem to have them, he has been told by bowman heat exchangers ltd that it is not needed , also this friend is starting the job this weekend with help from a guy he knows who services outboards , I can see that he is going to spend a lot of money and will only find out any problems when he has towed it to weymouth 70 miles and put the engine under strain , I suggested to him to fit a larger cooler & raw water pump anyway as it should not make any difference as long as the thermostat is in good order , also to increase the vents in the engine cover this would be no problem as his boat is a 22ft wilson flyer , I will keep you posted, also where is a good place to get both my volvo 200 legs serviced and get parts as one tilt motor is faulty.
many thanks
nick
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 AM

Rep: 1894 Posts: 9,776
An exhaust blower to move the air in the engineroom could help too. They are not too expensive.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
retired engineer

Rep: 1767 Posts: 3,025
Lancing marine has a list of what you need to convert the Transit engine, it is their favorite marine conversion engine. To obtain 130-140 hp it does need an air cooler.

Your friend better not underestimate the time and expense for this project!