Diesel outboards and jetboat engines coming

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Guest, Oct 9, 2002.

1. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Loved my Lark

But Gonzo, I used to love my 1956 Evinrude Lark 35hp short shaft. 25:1 fuel to oil ratio. You'd start her up, (pull or electric) and emerge from a cloud of blue smoke with that lovely petroleum sheen on the sea around you. I can just smell it now! And I thought bluefish were naturally oily?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I know what you mean about the pre-oiled fish. Since the advent of EPA regulations I started cooking my catch in teflon coated pans.

3. Doug2

Doug2 Guest

Diesel Outboard

http://www.dieselmarine.net/

25hp marine diesel outboard meeting all existing and proposed European and US environmental protection agency legislation.

Know nothing else about it, thought it might be of interest to you.

Cheers

Doug

4. nik

nik New Member

diesel out board engines

dear sir
    i have read your articale about the outboard diesel engine that a norwigen company is developeing.
    i have purchased a harriskayot float boat which must have a deisel out board engine to recive my commercail licence, in doing snorkeling triips etc.
    i have 90 hsp mercury engine on the boat but can not expand my business with a gas motor, need diesel.
    can you plese help in my problem or direct me to some one who sells diesel out board engines.
    thank you
    nik isidorou

5. Don Bryner

Don Bryner Guest

diesel outboards available at morganequipment.net

6. They may do it all, but what about G M Volvo and Mercruiser saying, OK. I don't think so.

7. They may do it all, but what about G M Volvo and Mercruiser saying, OK. I don't think so.

8. Rothor

Rothor New Member

Rap

The project regarding diesel powered Outboard is still on but severely delayed due to RPI.

We are slowly moving forward after RPI went "pinklisted" and we lost our investment, we need to get new finances to get this project going.

And yes we're worried about "the big ones" letting us have success.

Kind regards,
    Thor Henning Olsen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  9. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

Really small diesel outboards

What I'd really like to see happen are really small diesel outboards, 2-10 HP. Though I have 500 gal of diesel in the bilge, I still have to carry jerry cans of gasoline in the lazarette to operate the dinghy. As nice as the new Honda 4 strokes are, this is still a pain.

Also, there are plenty of trailer-sailers that could benefit from a 6-10 HP diesel outboard. This is potentially a big market, probably at least as big as for the 25-30 HP units currently offered.

Outboard motors have come a long way in the last few years, which may not have happened if not for environmental regs. But they could still come a lot further, particularly with respect to weight and size. Lightweight alloys and omposite materials could be used for the chassis/shaft, etc., especially in the smaller units.

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Is you rotary Diesel based on the Wankel principle - the Wankel engine? And, what means "pink listed"?

A diesel outboard might indeed cause a lot of commercial damage to the big brands.

11. I think diesel OB's need a chance.

12. How hard is it to pull a cord on a 6 to 10 hp Diesel?

13. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

IS THE smell gone ?

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Diesel outboards and jet boats engines are coming

Diesel outboards have been coming for a long time.March 1960 Popular Mechanics magazine shows an air cooled diesel rated at seven and a half HP.Fifteen and twenty two HP planned.Must be a problem some where putting diesel outboards on the market.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.