back fire

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by diversion, Jul 23, 2004.

1. diversion

diversion New Member

hi i have trojan f26 318 engine it back fires at around 2800 rpms sometime can't get to full rpm i change gas filters plug & wires what could it be

2. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

On a Chrysler marine my first thought is the Ballast resistor. They are cheap and easy to replace. I thought I had a Carb issue on my last boat, A marinette with a 360 but it was only the resistor. Short of that I would be thinking coil and distributor. My current boat with a 350 chevy was backfiring. Replaced the distributor with a Mallory unilite, all is well now.

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I concur with woodie. You can eliminate a lot of headaches with electronic ignition. I converted my 350s with a kit from Pertronics, replaces the points, uses same distributor. About $70 per engine, available from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com). They're worth their weight in gold! :D Also got easier starting and reduced fuel consumption (3 gph per with new carbs as well)

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

2800 RPM is about when the secondary springs start stretching. If your distributor shaft/bushing is worn out or the springs are weak it will overadvance.

6. trouty

trouty Guest

Look inside

the distributor cap, and make sure there isn't an blackened carbon 'arc' created between two adjacent HT outlet poles on the inside of the cap.

If it gets wet under the cap and any salt deposits there - the spark can track across to an adjacent spark plug wire lead inside the dizzy cap - thus firing a cylinder before the exhaust valve is closed - (or when the inlet valve is still open - meaning a backfire thru the carby!).

Good luck.

7. Frans X L

Frans X L Junior Member

backfiring is usually a sign of retarded ignition timing.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.