671 Detroit with Allison Transmission

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by River Rat, May 24, 2005.

1. River Rat

River Rat New Member

My buddy bought a 42' deadrise in October, he has been re-doing the whole boat. He has run the eninge, not in gear, now it takes alittle bit over a throttle to engage in reverse. It will not engage into forward at all (stuck piston?). The boat was built in 1964 with all original equipment, any advice, help wold be greaty appreciated.

2. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

check the gear oil presure. Plumb a T into the hose coming out of the back of the pump or i think there is a port on the pump you can stick a gauge on .It has been a while sence I was coverd in detroit blood.I think it should be around 300 pounds I forgot exactly you can find it in the book but It should be high.Inside the flywheel of that motor is the forward piston it has a ruber seal around it it could be very hardend and or cracked.The reverse seals are probly **** to

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Thank God for small favors? :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.