Strange Propeller

Discussion in 'Props' started by sottorf, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Compliments, compliments.

Thank you Baecky

2. kingprop

kingprop New Member

Hydro spinner

Just for the record, this device was designed in the UK and manufactured in Bulgaria. It is called Hydro-Spinner, and is a water turbine. The prototype was from flat plate but the original post image had foil sections that were optimized all along each of the blades. I was actually responsible for testing it in the Emerson Cavitation Tunnel in the UK. As a turbine it was fairly efficient and self-started very easily. We did publish a paper on this which should be out there. Enclosed is the prototype.

Dr Roderick Sampson
    King Propulsion

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

Looks like something Victor Schaumburg was working on. Hope I spelled his last name right.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Doesn't look like something that could be efficient for any use other than what Baeckmo described. To me it essentially looks like a propeller with blades which cannot stall, because of two long curvy vortices permanently attached to both edges of each narrow blade. Imagine how a very low-AR delta wing works, to get a more clear picture of what I mean.
    Hence, high-load (for what such narrow blades can give) at low-RPM applications is where it could work, I presume. At higher speeds, the drag associated to these vortices should kill the efficiency.

Anyways, I am having problems in trying to figure out what happens to the vortex wake behind the prop, what form does it have, where does it detach from?

5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have been thinking about you Frosty and wondering at not seeing your posts.

That prop could be used on a mud boat style craft to eliminate the smashing effect of most of the props now used. I used a similar one on one of my early shallow water propulsion drives ( made from a butter packing screw) for mud and weeds because the jet units some of us had were a dead loss for any shallow water work.

That " inefficient "word keeps creeping in

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The "Gorlov turbine" I showed earlier has low vibrations and self-starts easily,
    but has low efficiency. But I'm not sure how those benefits and deficiencies
    translate to the propeller form.

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Neither am I, frankly. This thing looks like a marketing affair, more than else.

8. Leo Lazauskas

I couldn't find a paper on the "Hydro-Spinner", only one by Wang, Atlar and
    Sampson on a propeller that wasn't described well in a 2007 paper in the Journal
    of Power and Energy.
    Maybe Roderick can give us the exact reference to the paper he alluded to.

9. Mikeemc

Mikeemc Junior Member

viktor schaumburg , how I understand this configuration is based on twin vortexes mixing with air to purify water. No it only works in flowing conduit . I guess if powered with a slow rpm then it could possibly pump water or heavy liquids. One thing it was tested in small creeks and would not harm the fish if one happened it get in the spillway.

10. Leo Lazauskas

Are you referring to Viktor Schauberger?
    "As the propeller rotates, so does the resistance rise by the square
    of the rotational velocity. This is also a sign that this supposed
    propulsive device is unnaturally constructed and therefore out of
    place."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Schauberger

That doesn't sound like he had much of value to contribute to
    propeller theory.

More on his ideas can be seen at:
    http://kulturserver-berlin.de/home/kuenstlermensch/Bilder und Projekte Wissenschaft/sogwend.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.