Propeller Selection

Discussion in 'Props' started by dcsnowdon, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dcsnowdon

dcsnowdon New Member

Hello,

I am currently working on my own design and build of a Human Powered Hydrofoil. Things are moving along and I am looking into Propeller selection. I am hoping to get a propeller with Pitch ratio in the range of 1-1.4. Through scouring old posts it appears the Bolly 15" x 25" would be a great option.

Does any one know of a good place to order Higher Pitch 2-Bladed Props? OR Bolly Props (I think they are out of business??)
    Or
    Would I be in better shape building my own prop?

thanks for all your help
    -DCSnowdon

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

That depends on whether you get lucky finding the size you're after and if it also has all the characteristics you're looking for. You are likely better off making your own, but to size it (by trial and error) you may want to try some of the model airplane props. Any of that going on in your neighbourhood? It would be great if you could borrow a few to try. Otherwise, Google may be your new best friend. I do know ordering custom sizes is extremely expensive.

-Tom

3. dcsnowdon

dcsnowdon New Member

Tom

Thanks. I think you are probably right. I have begun looking at model airplane props. I will try to get a prop with a P/D of 1. I will use this to get the boat going. Then the testing will begin. I might be able to cut the blades at the root...adjust the pitch and make molds. I believe that this process will only be accurate with small changes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.