New Design Prop That Acts Like A Nozzle?

Discussion in 'Props' started by laurie dixon, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Does your propellor have significantly more surface area than a conventional prop ?

2. laurie dixon

laurie dixon Junior Member

The Boat As A Standard 16 X 3 Blade With 12 Inch Pitch I Dont Have The Bar Mine Is 15 Ince Made Like A Kappel Prop There Are Both About The Same Area Of Blades Mine 15 X 3 Blades With 13 Inch Pitch The Boat Is Gear Box 2 To 1 Boat Full Speed 6.5 Book Speed Rpm 1800 Boat Weight 1 .34 Tons Length 5.9 Mts Engine Saab Ga 12hp Single Traq Pi 73 Foot Pound Sq Prop Shaft 25 Mm...

3. Mr Efficiency

Laurie, your old English teachers needs his/her bum kicked for not teaching you the joys of punctuation ! The only advice I could give you is fully test the thing in the niche application you think it best suits, and don't fudge the results !:D

4. laurie dixon

NO I will not do that ? but im not william shakespeare and i know that you are just like one of my teachers at collage but it is not very nice to read what you have written about my old teacher as his only fame is that he did get the late ronnie hilton to sing he was a singing star of the 1950s.... and had a few hits all over the world...

5. Mr Efficiency

Never heard of Ronnie, was he as good as Matt Monro ? :p

6. laurie dixon

Google ronnie hilton singer it will tell you all about him, matt also was a good singer to From russia with love but but ron was a few years before matt...

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you done a chart of speed and efficiency at different RPMs? How about reverse?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The simple solution is to get some recognized help, of course under NDA's and with the funding necessary to complete your efforts, assuming they can be reputably quantified. Usually, this means hiring an NA or engineer to conduct tests or using them as oversight for tests. Secret research is done all the time, so concerns about things getting stolen shouldn't be a worry, but it is important to have all the appropriate "ducks" in a row, so you're covered (just in case). This means lawyers, professionals and independent testing facilities, etc.

9. laurie dixon

PAR That is what this post is all about i have done all these test for free useing the boat from the offshore oil rescue school lifeboat, for free about the the design i have done a patent application so am ok to show it to companies here in the uk i know that the pitch of my prop is 13 inch the boats own prop is 12 inch and there is only 40 revs between them both, and the performance is a lot better more thrust and speed with my design at lower revs but i need to have the revs both the same and that will answer all the questions but it does need some funding to get there......thank you..

10. Mr Efficiency

Put the pitch out of you mind, you need to establish the difference in fuel usage under identical duty.

11. laurie dixon

But i need to have the REVS both the same to see the difference in the speed and more important thrust if it is to be used on a deep sea trawler, as of now i do know i have more speed and 40 kilos more pull on the load cell, that is all i can do without a shipping companies or a propeller firm and expert help that will cost which, i don't have at this time thats why i have put this post on this site i need help to finish the job.

12. Mr Efficiency

You don't need to have the revs the same, just a way to meter fuel use accurately, while having the boat do exactly the same thing, first with your prop, then the other one, for a fixed time at a fixed speed through the water, same for both props.

13. laurie dixon

Yes that can be done, but i have not got the equipment to do that type of test and as you say it wants to be correctly done and that is where a company can help in the finale tests to see how much more efficient my design is...

14. Mr Efficiency

I think you can figure it out for yourself without bringing anyone else in, but you will need some way to accurately meter the fuel, all you have to do is connect it into the fuel line, these things are not that expensive. Even if you got something that was 5% better, it would be huge in commercial terms. But you need to be scrupulous in attending to your measurements of fuel, time, and speed through the water, GPS could be misleading with tides etc because it measures speed over the ground. I think it is a long shot, and you should not stake too much money on an outside chance, bringing in experts before you need to, would be costly. They won't give you a refund if there is nothing worthwhile in your idea.

15. Mr Efficiency

I suppose the viability of this boat as a test bed assumes the current, conventional prop, is fully suitable for what it is tasked to do, and there really aren't any other props on the market that would be more efficient. That way you have a reliable datum point. There are plenty of permutations of engine, gear ratio, propellor diameter, and hull differences etc that would need to be worked through to establish if there was any "general" advantage, but doing it with one boat and one application first, would be a good start.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.