What is this hull worth?

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by parkland, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The hull is worth nothing without documentation of who designed, built, and operated the vessel. From the one picture of the construction she is poorly designed and very lightly built.

Considering the 85' tug Grand Marais just sold in Selkirk for $17,650.00 with twin 470HP Cummins and 60 and 30KW generators, all hydraulics and spare parts.......This boat, if you throw $20-40k at her(plus months of labour), will be worth about $6500.00.....

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&so=DESC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=&str=81&sr=1&ltnf=1&lcn=251551&lct=L

2. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Thank you for posting that find, I am not good obviously at finding what I'm looking for.

The problem with the grand marais, in my eyes, is that it's from the 60's, all the engines and equipment is from the 60's.
    There isn't anything left there that wouldn't be completely worn out.
    ( and its way to fricken big lol).

The boat hull I posted was built in 1990, which is 30 years newer than the grand marais, and also the boat I posted has no really bad rust, just needs to be cleaned and painted.
    Granted the boat I posted is an empty shell, but I'd rather go that route and install new equipment than run 50 year old equipment.

The boat I posted was built in riverton manitoba, for fishing. I don't know exactly how many boats they built, but anyone I asked so far seems to say the same thing, that they are built super good and strong.

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

But also thank you again, and if you can share any good boat shopping places to look, that would be great.

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Park,

Of course the Grand Marais presents problems, that's why she was essentially sold at less than scrap value. If you read the ad you'll find the main engines were installed in 1984 and both generators have been rebuilt. She has also been layed up for the past 16 years........

But she was complete, all parts in place. Pulling the engines, generators, shafts and props, one could recover the purchase cost plus, and then sell the shell as scrap.

You don't mention (that I noticed) what you intend to use this boat for? Would something smaller do the job? There are lots of boats for sale (obviously not in Manitoba) and buying something that's complete is a far better proposition.

Something like this from Scruton Marine in Ontario
    http://www.scrutonmarine.com/T2284.htm
    Okay, it's old but it's all there and operating for $18k asking.

http://www.scrutonmarine.com/

http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/details.asp?File_Number=WS3940

I don't know what "super good and strong" might mean in Manitoba but in my opinion that's not it. In addition to the wide spaced transverse web frames (which should be angle not flat bar) there should be numerous FB longitudinals spaced 12-15". There should be a heavy chine bar, and the shaft tube should not be just welded into standard skin plate (should be heavily reinforced).

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

The grand marais is so big that it's into the class of boat that nobody would want unless they have a commercial use for it. I don't know what they'd move it with, but I'm certain I wouldn't want to pay for the move LOL. :)

Some of the boats on the pages you linked look pretty cool, but they look a ton more beat up than the hull pictures I put up.

Something smaller would certainly do, but if the opportunity arises, I'm open to all options. I found that hull, it is in decent condition compared to anything else in that price range, and reasonably close as well. Thats why I wanted input.
    I don't see the advantage of buying something "complete" when it's sooooo old.... just seems like extra work tearing stuff out, instead of just starting with an empty hull.

We want it for use on kootenay lake BC, for day cruises, weekend trips, who knows, just general recreational use. I decided I certainly don't want wood or fiberglass. I want aluminum, but don't really think I can afford it. Looked at pontoons for a while, they just aren't as safe, fuel efficient, or seaworthy.

Steel seems like a winner, simple modifications should be a breeze, it just needs paint every now and again.
    It doesn't make sense to build a boat either, if you can buy a hull for less, especially one that has seen some action. The hull in the pictures might not be the best ever designed, but it's sitting on land, not the bottom of a lake, so that has to be worth something, right?
    We rented a 35 ft boat, and I know it sounds huge, but a little more room would have been nice. We thought a 40 ft boat would be perfect, but hey, whats another 10 ft?

The perfect hull I could imagine would be like the one I found in the pictures, but with a single prop shaft, and around 10 ft shorter.
    I agree 50 ft long and dual engines are more than I want, but is it a deal breaker? I don't see why it should be.... with only 1 engine I would need to buy an outboard as a backup anyways, now I wouldn't have to, so thats worth something too.

There are quite a few cheap houseboats and houseboat hulls, but a lot of them are using not very aerodynamic hulls, and outboards or I/O drives. Thats not what I want at all.

The 35 ft we rented had a 4 cyl 60 hp diesel, and burned a gallon an hour cruising along.
    I'm hoping that the 50 ft in the pictures, could potentially burn under 20 liters / hour at a slow pace. I think it's possible from what I've read.
    A gallon an hour would be way nicer, but for all the extra room, I'm willing to accept that it will burn a lot more fuel.

6. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

I think the angle of propellershaft is regarding that the through hull pipe will pass above waterline maybe. Else I do agree the angle looks quite strange.

7. shanehand

shanehand New Member

I would imagine that the two fins forward are for roll reduction as she looks relatively narrow for her length and may roll too quickly when loaded.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Buying used engines and transmissions, whether installed on a boat or not, has the same risk: they may fall apart in a day. I don't see any difference from that point of view. However, considering that the risk is the same, an installed engine would save you a lot of time and money on mounts, adapted brackets, exhausts, etc. If you want to buy the boat, go for it. A project like this can be a good hobby. Besides the transportation, add on the cost of storage while you work on it. Usually something like this would take 3-7 years for a person that doesn't do it full time.