Solar boat

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by kengt, Feb 2, 2012.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

yes tom and the drag will be terible ..from the edge of the "transom" and the rear of the box you have created ...it all needs to be curved front and back to reduce drag.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Yes Piston and with a 250 watt motor and a 350 pound boat it's going to make what kind of difference?

Where are you suggesting they mount it Mr. Helpful?

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

A lot ..equivalent to dragging a 6 inch wide oar in water in a vertical positon..anything to do with electric boats/solar the name of the game is minimal drag

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

And where is it you're suggesting it go?

You are a great critic aren't you?

Let's try and be helpful here rather than limiting your comments to attacks on others.

Where are you suggesting it go Piston?

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

tom get a life ...all I am saying is that this "box" throught the hull needs to be curved where it transitions at the front..like a swept up transom and curved again at the rear like a bow or that vertical rear edge will produce much drag,,,,indeed some of the motors mounted this way are more in a slot extending rearwards with no rear wall ...

A study of the formulas given on the Electric Boat Association site will give you all the powers and speeds for a fair hull

I dont talk about what I have not built.

6. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

There is quite a selection of 24v trolling motors.

e.g. An 80lb thrust model like this would do well.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/produ...-trolling-motor-bowguard-360-80lb-24v-62.html

If the race organizers didn't spec out the top trolling motor specs, considering their built in waterproof design, this is truly a bummer. They're more than up to the task for propelling this canoe.

If you must mount your existing motor I would seek out a suitable drive shaft, flex coupling and hull fitting. This will be tough to track down as most boats today use trolling motors. They are ideally suited. I prefer Minn Kotas as the motors are powerful and most efficient. Their propellars also perform well and deflect weeds & debris.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I use the 24 v I force 86 lb on 12v direct 300w to a similar prop to my previous post ...4 kts

8. foilcats

foilcats Stephen Snedden

Earthling.co.nz is producing E work Cat its designed to have 2 x 15hp electric engines,
    its a modified seahull 4.0m cat looks great was on display at last weeks aucklanbd boat show, earthling is one of the leading supplies of electric propulsion sytems to the high end market

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.