International AC 62RC Class

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Doug Lord, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

ACRC Cat

Some of us are discussing aspects of the America's Cup RC Foiler cat rule for the new boat-whatever the length. My suggestion is that we make the boat square-or at least make it possible for the boat to be square within the rule. On top of that the Trapeze Power Ballast System would extend outboard further*. And foil tips would extend past the maximum beam as was allowed in our AC 62RC rule. We need all the RM we can get. Comments?
    * this needs more thought/discussion

2. luff tension

luff tension Junior Member

Doug why don't you actually finish something you have already started before you spear off on another tangent, the AC62 thing isn't going to happen, the scale version isn't going to happen. If perhaps you put as much time into finishing stuff as you put into being a self proclaiming foil guru then you may even have a sailing "model", (yes a model, not an actual sailing yacht of any description), that does maybe half of what you claim it may possibly do.

3. mij

mij Junior Member

Doug,

I quite like the 55" length, but I selected the beam of my current boat based on what would easily fit into my station wagon, rather than sailing performance. I certainly wouldn't be able to fit a boat with 55" beam. Consequently I'm trying to find simple methods to get more RM. One method I'm thinking about involves setting the foils up so that they rotate outward, so that the windward foil, when removed from the water would extend past the maximum beam. Obviously, like your TPBS, this wouldn't fit into conventional rules.

Jim.

Attached Files:

4. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Try self adjusting foils that will provide RM as in the Bradford System. Now where have I heard that before Jim? LOL

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Acrc

===========================
    Unfortunately, the premise of your post is 100% wrong and uninformed if you simply read the last couple of pages about the Fire Arrow thread. The boat was finished in June of 2014 and the test began immediately ending on July 24th 2014 because of the requirement to have two people launch the boat and get video. In the very last video many of the design objectives were met including foiling in a 5mph wind, using two completely different altitude control systems effectively at the same time and more.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/mu...f-righting-trimaran-test-model-36058-132.html
    The AC62 is dead and an ACRC model Cat foiler is not dead it, it is in the process of being born.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=====================
    Jim I've been out of it(and in a hospital for five days) but the little I've read so far is the that new boat will be 48'. I need more confirmation of that but if thats it we should give consideration to making the new boat 48" but with transom hung rudders legal or make it 51" to allow Mini 40 or F48 hlls to be modified like mine? But the new boats will NOT be Mini 40's or governed by their rules in any way. My big concern is that Mini 40 and F48 hulls, for the most part have not been designed for the xtra weight of ballast. But as they'll be foilers it probably won't matter.
    A"48" should allow for movable ballast and have more sail area than a mini 40 . But I also like 55" X 33" plus TPBS-I think it is a good size and I don't like 48"-it's too small for an AC boat.
    I think significantly more ballast should be required than possible with a rotating foil. Lets keep thinking about it.
    UPDATE: All people will not use all the relevant technology on their ACRC cat- but they MUST have the right to! And that means there is a requirement for moure load carrying ability in the hulls for pretakeoff. And that means a larger hull. So I guess I'm for the 55" model regardless of the length finally chosen for full size.
    -Beam: look in my thread(second to last page or so) for the "Challenger #1" and his method of disassembling his square Mini 40 cat. Also, consider the TPBS system its nt hard to rig, easy to remove and reattach , and intuitive to control and the weight is variable. Same TPBS can be used on different platforms.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.