Innovative Lifejacket

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by design_naval, Apr 27, 2015.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Regulations have NOT the force of Law. Simplifying things a lot a law forces everyone, while a regulation only requires to whom accepts and agrees to comply it. You can not choose whether or not a law is fulfilled, the standard yes you can.
    I hope I explained well this time though I'm sure anyone can understand what I mean.

2. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

When boating in US waters the coast guard enforces that you have to have a sufficient number of USCG approved life jackets for all persons on board. I don't know if it's a law or regulation they are enforcing. If you don't have enough approved life jacks you are told to go back to the dock and can be given a fine. It's not optional to accept to comply with this.
    http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg5214/pfdselection.asp

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I'm not sure you're right, Grey. I think, but I can not affirm categorically that a boat can navigate the US waters even if her life jackets are just approved by any administration signatory of SOLAS, nothing more.
    btw, it is not enough that the vessel has "sufficient number of USCG approved life jackets for all persons on board". You must have extra life jackets.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

TANSL: Not true at all. I am a certified Master Marine Surveyor and a Fishing Vessel Examiner under Title 43 CFR. I issue USCG inspection stickers to commercial vessels I examine. A regulation is indeed the same as a law for enforcement purposes. Sufficient USCG approved life jackets for all persons on board is what the regulations require. Further, they require that they be of appropriate sizes. They may carry a percentage of child PFDs to comply. The regulations also addresses if the vessel carries passengers for hire or not and the area of operation. For someone that claims to be able to CE certify, you don't have much understanding of laws and regulations.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I can not believe that a "certified Master Marine Surveyor and a Fishing Vessel Examiner under Title 43 CFR" say so many wrong things in so little time.
    I will not continue with such a stupid argument. There are regulations for those who want to know whether you are right or you do not.
    I never said to "be able to CE certify". Do not say things that are not true.

6. Westel

Westel Senior Member

It seems that there is a misunderstanding in communication because the line between law and regulation is often very thin and dangerous.

Like TANSL said, a law is for everyone and unless there are exemptions (like for military purposes for example) everybody has to follow the law.
    If regulations turn into something which has the same character of a law, like Gonzo says, the USCG regulations are something like that, than it's becoming something like a law within a law and that's a dangerous situation.
    The USCG is no law making institution but it has been given powers that regulate and controls pretty much everything that is marine related in the US.
    To make it short, the politicians who have been given the responsability by the people to make law, sh#t their pants and leave it to "second party's" to "regulate" things which might be sensative to possible voters.....
    Let there be no doubt, those "second party's" like USCG,FAA etc... are constantly seeking to increase their influence, very often under the cover of "safety"...which is dear to us all of course......

7. WindRaf

WindRaf Senior Member

here the set of rules is this:

18 March 2009 n. 4866

Use on board the pleasure craft of personal flotation devices

- The Directive n. 89/686 / EC of 2l.12.1989, as amended, regulates among other things, the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to personal protective equipment to be used on board the pleasure craft;
    - Legislative Decree 12.04.1992, n. 475, it transposed into national legislation the aforementioned Directive.

In relation to the provisions relating to the subject of the aforementioned protective equipment, bearing the "CE", given the stepped variation of the technical rules of reference, it is considered necessary to introduce the following usage guidelines:

1. Life jackets must be of the "jacket", or "stole" suitable to the size of the user.

2. In respect of life jackets in accordance with the new standard ISO:

a) devices are allowed with the following performance levels:

• Level 100 complies with ISO 12402-4 as amended;
    • Level 150 complies with ISO 12402-3 as amended;
    • Level 275 complies with ISO 12402-2 as amended;
    b) for people doing sports or recreational activities, for which it is mandatory to wear a device permanently, in addition to the models referred to in subparagraph a) is also allowed the use of buoyancy aids with performance level 50 conforming to ISO 12402- 5, as amended.

3. Given that the characteristics of use of recreational craft involving continuous rotation of guests of different sizes and that the small number of people makes it impossible to transport an acceptable supply of jackets on percentages of sizes, are also permitted belts type stole that meet the following minimum requirements:

- Performance level 275: Buoyancy minimum of 275 N to 140 N for adults and for children and young people;
    - Performance level 150: Buoyancy minimum of 150 N to 75 N for adults and for children and young people;
    - Performance level 100: Buoyancy minimum of 100 N to 50 N for adults and teens and children.

4. The units carrying out navigation by 300 meters away from the coast and within 6 nautical miles or in inland waters shall carry lifejackets comply, as a minimum requirement, the performance level 100. The units that perform navigation over 6 nautical miles from shore shall carry lifejackets comply, as a minimum requirement, the performance level 150.

5. For lifejackets and buoyancy aids Inflatable, they are not allowed inflation systems exclusively manual and / or oral.

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I think the semi-solid tubes would be easier to put on in an emergency, since the other style might tend to become a tangled mess to an untrained first time user.

I'd include a color scheme with reflective tape that clearly indicates top/bottom/inside/outside so untrained panicked people could put it on in darkness.

I also think the semi-solid aspect would be helpful when both the jackets and victims are in the water unexpectedly, or for use in reaching out to victims as an extension.

I'm a big fan of the Pool Noodles for 1001 uses. This prototype inspires me to work on a DIY life vest for dogs. DIY for dogs since they aren't covered by the same laws as human PDFs, and dogs come in all shapes and sizes. A dog DIY PDF should only require some clothes line, belt, twine etc and a Pool Noodle.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.