fairey hunt 18

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by garrybull, Feb 26, 2012.

1. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

thanks for that mate.

i do like to take a few pics to show people what can be achieved when you put your mind to it.

i was a carpenter by trade so making moulds and plugs is not a problem for me.

i only really taught myself to fibreglass over the last 10 years or so really.

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i got the platform finished off today and out the mould and trimmed up.

looks really good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Well done !!

As always looks good !! next bit is making it fit and all the brackets to hold it on . Glass is amazing stuff and so versatile and adaptable and can make almost anything if you are good with your hands !!

Well almost xmas so time for best wishs and happy fishing !! just over two weeks and i will be sitting with a smile and a rod in my hand . cant wait !
    Take care !!
    :D

4. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

making it fit is the easy part mate.

will be slightly trimmed to fit around the pod and then glassed to pod and transom with 2 supports underneath.

enjoy your fishing when you get back home.

have a good xmas

5. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

have made a start on moulding the platform today. should have it pretty much finished tomorrow.

at the moment it has 2 gels and 1 layer of 1.5oz mat on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

mould is now finished and the platform released from the new mould.

just need to trim the mould up tomorrow and then wet flat it down and polish it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got a couple of led flood lights today.

got them fitted. just need to run the wires and connect them to there switches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

mould has now been wet flatted down and polished up. just needs trimming and its ready for use.

i have also trimmed the platform to fit my boat but can't glass it on yet until i get a hatch for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Nice one !!

I like plateforms !! they are really practical and a good way to protect the back of the boat as well . Before it becomes a fixture pop it back in the mould and scribe a fine lign into the moulds surface where you have cut the plateform so come time to make and fit another one the marks are already there for it to be cut to or very close .
    Looks good !!:D

10. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i did think about doing that but i have always just drawn a pencil line on the job after it comes out the mould and then trim to that.

the mould as it stands is the same size as my platform so once i make another i will only need to trim of excess fibreglass to the gel line.

will hopefully have it fitted this weekend as long as the weather is ok.

11. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

What i have used if a really shape scriber and a very fine scratch mark totally round the whole outside of the finished item . its easy to lightly sand out if the product is used for something else but its a nice line to grind to on the next one you make !!
    Any way you shouldnt be here its xmas !!
    Cheers !:D

12. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

yeah i've used a scribe in the past. got one in my tool box some where.

just had my xmas dinner and im now stuffed and relaxing. got family coming round in a bit so sat on the computer while i can.

hope you had a good xmas.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Xmas in china or any of the asian countries is a non event and its just another day on the calender . looked outside each morning and everyone is doing what they usually do . had merry xmas from some friends but its empty , means well but the feeling isnt there if you get what i mean ! .
    I have a tree and coloured lights and all the trimmings and some small gifts for close friends but have to wait till the weekend because they all working . But in saying all this come Chinese new year and the place goes absolutely crazy !! just there timing is a little off thats all .its impossible to even get to the train ticket counter and if you do there days to wait to get a train . So stay were you are and soak up the atmosphere and dream of better times .
    :D:p

14. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

had a little play today after chatting to a friend about making a bait table for his boat and came up with this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on my mates boat it will be fitted with stainless tubes on the underside which will then slide in to his rod holders in the engine well.

i will also be fitting one to the transom of my boat which will also fit to the rod holders and can easily be removed when not in use.

1 person likes this.

15. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

rear platform is now glassed in place.

just got to mask off sand down the strips of mat i put on and flowcoat over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just ordered 2 more led flood lights , fuel water separator filter and a octahedral radar reflector.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.