fairey hunt 18

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by garrybull, Feb 26, 2012.

1. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i have now got a few 316 stainless bits fitted.

3 bollards , 2 fairleads and 2 cleats.

handrails will have to wait until i can afford to have them made to my specs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

also now got 200 mtrs of 12mm anchor rope , 8 mtrs of 6mm galvanised chain for my bruce anchor.

in the pics you'll see i little anchor trip device my mate invented and it works a treat if the anchor gets stuck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

not had much time to do anything on the boat lately due to work.

i have managed to get my hands on a nice garmin 2010c chartplotter with sonar as well.

i've got the plotter fitted but not the sonar. i need to source a power data cable for the gsd20 sonar box as that was missing.

[​IMG]

im hoping to be back working on my boat from next week so will be in a mad rush to get it back in the water before xmas.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

great stuff !!

looks like a ply station !!
    hope you and your helpers are pleased with what you have done because its sure been a excise and a bit Finding a mould and reburbishing then making it look gtreat and that was just to get to the starting line . the boat looks good as well colors and fittings that are practical and are good and strong are very important . function with good looks !! i hope all goes well for you and take a big bottle of bubbles for the first fish landed on deck . Congratulations xmas is just round the corner and im dying to get back Home to nz and drag my own boat out and get back on the water again !!. Its been a year and i miss the sea, sand and salt air .
    Cheers !!!:p:D

5. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

its been a long journey but well worth all the time and hassle sorting out the mould.

i've enjoyed every minute of the build apart from the electrics as im no electrician.

can't wait now to get it back in the water with full tank of fuel and all gear on board and see how it performs then.

need to get some rials on soon but not sure if i can afford to have them made yet.

i don't want to put on any old rails as they won't look as nice as what i have in my mind that i want fitted.

6. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i have now decided to make a rear platform that will be glassed on top of the outboard pod and to the transom.

it will have a raised lip around the edge and have 2 drainage hole to drain any standing water off it.

it measures 66" across and 20" deep.

if it turns out as planned i will also take a mould off it as well.

the pics show the temporary mould being made. i have yet to put the plastercine radius's in the top edges which will be done tomorrow and hopefully i'll have the whole platform glassed up and finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Non slip ??

Going to mold in some no slip ?
    We have a big mould and gelcoat then 1x 300 csm then pull off ,then cut to shape and lightly sand the edge and make a chamfered and stick that down with contact adhesive .
    Remember the plateform could have to take the weight of 4 to 6 people at a absolute worse case senario,So make it strong and well bolted with good brackets under onto the transom . minimum core thicknes 25 mm stepped back from the edge about 25 mm tapering down and make the outside corners robust because they always get dinged nothing surer . keeping the core back stops the core getting damaged and if you have to repair some time glass without core is easyer to work with !!
    Anyway what do i know !!. :D

8. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

non slip will be added once the platform has been made and fitted.

don't you worry about the fixing of it to the boat mate. once its glassed in place it won't be going anywhere.

overall thickness will be around 20-25mm but around the edge it will have a 50mm flange all round.

i have a picture in my head of how it will look and i know it will work out fine as i have made and fitted a few platforms now.

there will also be supports underneath the platform glassed in to the transom and underside of the platform.

also there will be an access hatch in the centre to allow access to the bottom engine mounting bolts in the pod.

oh and you probably know more about how its done than i do mate:D

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Tell you what i used a while back was the poly propolene carpet used inside the cockpit. cut to shape cut a bevel round the perimiter and stuck it down with Clear bathroom silicone , soft to walk on with bare feet is absolute non slip and comes in a few colours ,:DEazy to clean with a hose and fresh water . . Has been down on a deck for 5 years colour has faded a little but thats all
    I have it on the mudguards tops of my trailer and thats gets lots use looks as good as the day i put it on . lasts well . dosent hold water so dries quickly after washing

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

How does it work?

11. leslielp

leslielp Junior Member

Well done Garry, she looks marvelous! Are there a lot of boatyards in and around Portsmouth??

12. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

have a look on

www.anchortrip.co.uk

it explains on there how it all works. very simple idea and works really well.

13. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

cheers mate. its getting there now. not much more to do to finish it off now.

there are quite a few boat yards around the portsmouth area.

14. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got 2 coats of gel in the platform mould this afternoon and also managed to get 3 layers of 1.5oz mat on and a layer of 4oz woven as well.

should have it all finished tomorrow morning and out the mould in the afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Planning ahead !!

This has got to be the best ever pictorial site i seen of all and every step taken . This really is what makes life simple for those newbies and some that have forgotten the thill of being inventors and breaking new ground with ideas and making things that work and work well first time . :D

Lucainbarca likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.