fairey hunt 18

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by garrybull, Feb 26, 2012.

1. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

the hatch layup is one gel as im going to flowcoat the hatch with gritted gel once boat is done.

it currently has 2 layers of 1.5oz mat on and i'll put 2 wet ones on in the morning along with a piece of 12mm ply with 6mm holes drilled through to allow the resin to get a proper grip of the ply.

the ply will be weighted down until resin has gone off and then i will put 2 more layers of mat over the ply to seal it all up.

im also going to fit some stainless angle brackets to the under side so i can fit stainless rams to lift the hatch open.

i've got to get the stainless hinges yet but i know which ones im going to use and also got to get some decent catches to keep the hatches shut.

the way im making the hatches and gutters is how we used to make them when i worked for a company called catapult catamarans.

they work well and are very strong.

2. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got the hatch lids trimmed up today and they fit perfect. just got to get the stainless hinges and catches.

also got most of the stuff i need to start the gunnel plug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

been busy with work but have managed to get the gunnel plug made from mdf.

just needs a quick sand down and then im going to put 1 layer of mat over it and then skim it with filler then sand it flat and then spray with duratec surfacing primer and then polish it ready to be moulded.

no laughing at my attempt of making a gunnel plug.

i think the shape looks really good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when its been painted and polish i'll then put a flange around the inside and outside ready for the mould to be made.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

All what you made could have been made from glass panels !! could have been built and stayed in place after the mould was made ! foam glass , core matt and glass or just glass panels all joins could have been done inside and out and would have been just as strong and about the same weight as the deck out of the mould !!. trouble with making throwaway plugs is its a waste of money and time just to get a mould . unless mould get used continuouly they are a libility and have to be stored some where and covered if possible . just ut side the city limits in parts of Auckland there are a heap of old moulds siting waiting ! they take up a whole yard . most are sail boats but there are powerboat moulds there also . I boat company where i worked ong time ago we buried and covered over a pile of old mounds of yachts and all the crap that went with them . once a model comes to the end of its life the moulds need to be chopped up and disposed of .
    Think of the car industry as a good example are the moulds still around for the model T or the model A fords ? no moulds means theres no new of what ever and if what ever was a classic then theres only a limited number in exstance and the collector has a investment that increases if value as it gets older !!.

But what do i know !!!:confused:

5. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

the plug has been made from material i've had lying about for a while. just had to get it cut to sizes i could use.

it only took me 2-3 days to get the main shape i wanted.

its all now covered with 1 layer of mat and skimmed with body filler and im hoping all the sanding will be done tomorrow so i can put a coat of duratec primer on to see if theres any pin holes that need filling before i put a few more coats of primer on.

i've got quite a few people interested in buying a boat off me in different stages of build.

i've got a centre console coming soon which needs a bit of work to make it right but once sorted i can then offer an open boat version as well. i can also use the roof mould off my wheelhouse to make a bimini style roof cover that bolts to a stainless frame.

im also thinking of making a small forward cuddy option as well as lots of anglers over here like to have a small cuddy to get out the weather.

im hoping to have 3 different options of the boat to sell but if any ones wants something different i can do it for them as well.

i'll have some more pics over the weekend of the gunnel plug which fingers crossed will almost be finished.

6. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

the plug is now almost finished. just got to finish off wet n drying down the duratec primer then it can be polished and have a flange put round the inside and outside edges.

i put 1 layer of 450 mat all over it and then filled and sanded it flat.

after that i put 2 coats of duratec on and flattened that off and then 2 more coats and then flattened off with wet n dry paper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just got the inside edge to rub down then its ready for polishing.

[​IMG]

7. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

well after a lot of filling and sanding the mould is now all done and was lifted off the plug today and it has turned great. better than i thought it would to be honest.

just got to trim it up and give it a quick polish and then its ready for use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

i have now made a start on laying up the gunnels in the mould.

got 2 gels on and 3 layers of mat so far. going to put another layer of mat on tomorrow morning and then glass in some ply on the foredeck to strengthen that up and also glass in ply where all stainless fittings will be bolted on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got the gunnels all finished off today and lifted out the mould.

also trimmed them up and sat them in place on the hull. just got to glass them in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

got a bit done lately.

wheelhouse is now fitted along with the dashboard. windows cut out.

drains fitted in gutters of the hatches.

got to glass in a pad for the remote box to bolt to and got to glass in the last piece of wiring tube up to the dash.

i've also moulded the roof of the wheelhouse so it can be used with a centre console as a bimini top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Looks great and a LOT OF FUN ALSO. Thanks for posting the pictures.

12. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

thanks mate.

i love it. its turned out exactly how i planned it.

can't wait for the sea trials to see how she performs.

13. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

its got a wendy house !!!

I hope you going to have lots padding and grab rails inside and out .
    I love it !!
    what a way to go !!sure is differant !!
    Cant wait to see it sitting in the water with a motor on the back and out in a good swell leaping completely clear of the water !
    Congratulatons on all the pictures posted during the whole project . Wish more people would pick up and do the same thing . very good indeed !!!!:D:p:p

14. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

it will have lots of stainless bits and rails as and when I can afford to buy it.

all the small bits like bow roller , 3 bollards , 2 cleats and 2 fsirleads are quite reasonably priced so hopefully will have them bits soon then its the hand rails which won't be cheap to have made.

I'm looking forward to jumping a few waves as well and will make sure I get plenty of action pictures.

15. garrybull

garrybull Senior Member

not much done lately but i have managed to get the inside of the wheelhouse flowcoated out in light grey.

im going to carpet the top half at a later date so decided to flowcoat all the inside to keep clean looking.

also got the engine mounted on the pod. i have fitted it on the second hole down on the mount so in the position its in now i have about 3" of lift on the engine.

can't wait to get it out for sea trials.

the pic with the engine was from yesterday with it sat down on its mount. i have since raised it by 1 hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.