Dissertation Proposal

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by abhiprayj, Oct 17, 2011.

1. abhiprayj

abhiprayj New Member

Hie everyone, I am a Msc student in Naval Architecture from Newcastle University . I am working on my research for dissertation and initially i searched on air compressed engines and started off my research on same . I have done my bachelors in Marine Engineering but i hardly remember anything out of it :p .

I am not interested in running engines with compressed air anymore as i am not sure if i can really take some time out to clear my basics first and then research .
    Kindly advice me some topics which needs some experimentations / calculations and which is little creative .

I am not asking people to tell me what to do , i just want to know what all i can. Rest i can manage, so please help and suggest some areas where in i can do research .

Thanks
    Regards,

Abhipray Jain

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Abhipray,

Flying submarines or submersible jets.

-Tom

3. abhiprayj

abhiprayj New Member

hey Tom ...

i have no clue about submarines .... but thanx a lot for stopping by and replying on my post....

regards

abhiprayj

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

how about using pure hydrogen as a fuel for engines.

H2 is the most abundant element, it has the most amount of energy per pound, consumes no fossil fuels, put out no CO, or unburned hydrocarbons, and no CO2 emissions. It can be made from water, seawater, etc. almost anywhere you have an H2 generator. Ordinary engines can be adopted for H2 fuel, it would be more efficient if optimized for H2 properties, or it can be duel fuel (easiest would be propane/H2 since both are gaseous at room temp). With large solar panel arrays H2 fuels can be generated anywhere there is sunshine without requiring power plants.

Single largest problem is storage, either takes very large tanks (bulky), super high compression in liquid form (very dangerous), or in hydride storage cells (most promising but heavy, perhaps okay for a ship).

5. abhiprayj

abhiprayj New Member

hie petros,

Your idea sounds gr8 ... I will talk about the same with my university professors and start researching on it

Thanks a lot for the idea ...

I came with another idea about reducing fouling problems on the ships hull by using polyethylene sheets at the bottom ... How does it sounds ??? The only Problem i found is removing and putting it back every 6 months or so ..

removal and putting a new polythene sheet can be done by divers thou , But is it cost effective as compared to the dry dock cost for the same ??

I hope using Polythene is environment friendly as polythene doesn't melt in 6 months ...isnt it ?

Please reply and educate me on that in your free time.

Thanks a Ton ;)

Abhipray

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

typically the cost of such systems are more than the traditional dry dock, strip and repaint. the paints they are using now are designed to erode away, and in doing so prevent growth from accumulating for a long time. Your idea would require stripping off the sheets and replacing them at a rate higher than the strip and repaint, and would take the ship out of service more frequently than conventional bottom treatments.

Unless you can automate the replacing of the surface, it is not likely what you propose would be viable. Even than it would be more costly, so of questionable benefit I would think.

I would like to see a copy of your dissertation on H2 powered ships, I have been thinking about the idea for a long time but do not have the resources to pursue it. So it would be nice to see if it was viable.

7. abhiprayj

abhiprayj New Member

Hie Petros,

i would love to show you a copy of same , i am still finding some limitations with the H2 propulsion ...
    i will let you know once i start off with the research and i may need your help ..

Why don't you tell me more about you via email !!

Regards,

Abhipray

abhiprayj@gmail.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.