Challenge: The 100$ boat!

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by DanishBagger, Jun 13, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I think there is nothing wrong in using plans - if you already have them. I mean, if we imagine that you didn't have any as it is, most would see if they could find a good free one.

Yeah, the dangerous part is part of the fun :)

Welly, our "hard" scrap aren't really that good. Here most "good stuff" are driving to scrapping place, and we are not allowed to scavenge at those places. So I have to find some containers and so on - before - they are driven away. This might take a while.

2. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Hold your horses hans, I think this project have great insight, I am humble back into think what is essential within a boat you need to sail in term of set minium budget wise.

BUT......... we need to know the extent of this project before we jump into the river......... we might get alots of gear and stuff for free but would that be use on the boat?

This boat project..... will it be aim to built a boat with only oars, pedal power or even to sail? If sail....... one mono sail or multiple sail config? Under bone with no restriction as long as you use only US$100 for whole boat?

Must it be a mono hull or cat and tri can be consider? How durable the construction need to be?

I could built a mini pocket (batteryrotor) pedal poweredsailor for what I know:) it would be unfair without any restriction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andre , without a plan Hans will build an aircraft carrier for before you know:D:D:D.( see picture)

Yes, scape in here are hard as almost everything are picked and recycled by garbage man..... But I see a lot of cars and truck rust to dust with no owner and miles away from civilisation. That would be a start as small boat need not use big mild steel plate. Can u imagine the roof , engine cover and door turning into boat plate? rent a roller and build......... to be fair.

WDH

Attached Files:

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I guess you can use what you can get for free, but if it's through "specialty" contacts, it should be a no-no. Think of someone that has no connections, know no boatbuilders or craftsmen, and go from there.

Also, you talked about welding and so forth - to me that is a little cheating. It is using special tools, and knowledge (how to weld).

Andre

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Oh, I forgot, it should be "simple", but having multiple sails in order for the boat to balance and not tipping too much seems fine.

5. Wellydeckhand

Ok, I would rent someone welding torch and use someone else gas( seem silly because I am producing it) to be fair...... agreed. But remember, US$100 is a lot of money just for renting equipment and buying old stuff........ beware good exchange rate:D

So....... what is the max LOA? Need to know..... is speed important in the design? At what speed min.? The boat is for what type of uses? extreme usage or circle in the pond?

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I don't think we should have a max loa, but maybe we should have a maximum building time (I mean, when not scavenging, but actual work).

The usage should just be stated, as that would depend on where you live, and what you can get of materials.

Just like Hans is going to build one to use as a tender, someone might build something for a bit of fishing in a pond, another might build a rowing-thingy for the dutch canals, and yet another might build a board for body surfing (okay, that wouldn't be a boat, but you get my drift).

I have to get building on my "real" boat, so I'll talk to you guys later, and update the rules in the first post. :cool:

See ya,

Andre

7. hansp77

hansp77

You know Welly,
    so far, I think you might just win this competition.
    With the exchange rate, you could probably just pay someone to win it for you.:D

I like your idea for salvaged steel from cars.
    I am sort of regretting the big old ford car bonnet that I thru out. It was really big, and thick, and no rust (I found it under our house).
    I may just think about that option too.
    I do like the idea of working with metal, cut it, grind it, bend it and weld it, especially for a ugly little tender like I need.

Could we do the prepping and painting of it on the cheap though, does it need to be sandblasted, and what about paint?

8. Wellydeckhand

You can use a handheld grinder with a brush attachment exchange...... this brush can eat away the rust part......... Before they invent the machine they have rust brushes ( hard work).

As for the Acetylene gas, in Asia they have a chinese kit that use carbide and crude C2H2 will be produce........ meaning you just buy the carbide rock and Oxygen supply. Here 2nd hand torch would cost you, US$20 ( plus meter but need begging).

The grind disc you just ask from different manufacturer or distributor...... they give out freebees to new brand believer.:)

The rods come in sample package with spec. for thickness and different application. I know to give these samples 4-5 to a same person because he said he will past it to his welder to test.......... I doubt it but still gave him the rods:)

For small craft....... good simple and ugly try corrosion spray for car mobil anti-rust TAR spray or in this part of the world buy a gallon of spare corrosion paint 2 part from vessel coming in from other countries( they carry paint to emergency maintaince )......... beg for cheaper price.

For me I prefer some Chemical Industrial anti-rust and paint....... does a fine job for personal need and I like it.

The plan you can get free on a few website.............

If you have the time, you can put in an extra pedal power from an old bicycle....... and a small sail. The boat would be trailable..........

WDH

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Still, Welly, you're using special tools if you're going that way around. I think it's cheating a bit.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing what you could come up with.

10. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I have updated the opening post with the rules so far, anything I forgot?

11. Wellydeckhand

Wooden Sampan with small sail

Andre:),

I would try wooden boat as wood is abondance in my are........ picking a right tree would be a problem....... Indonesian like hard wood. Some important part we use the big roots for dense and beautiful pattern........ then tool will be traditional...... I have already the tool.......:)

I would try a small SAMPAN for fun....................................

The second one would be on scape metal boat...... but then that is another project...........:)

Why buy more tools if you have a avaliable tool aready in hand? I dont think the US$100 would be included in tool purchase but only the material for the boat yes?!:D

See the rough drawing from FREE Sampan plan:

http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/AA_Eric/alone_contents.html
    http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/junk/sampan.html
    http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/junks.html dirt cheap plan for 35ft

I mean you have a free plan and a junk website with all the answer........ cheap option but fun nontheless......................:)

Attached Files:

12. Wellydeckhand

Errr........ you killing me Andre babe.....:( 40 HRS? to beg , log on forum, run a business, do land clearing........... I would think a month would be nice and everybody happy finding left over..........

Scout honor, I dont do special pulling of connection but I wont go to the nearest police station and beg...... you gonna trust me ok!:D:D:D

What I do is the project to test myself, winning is second problem........ If I do build that sampan, it will be US$100 blood money and nice job to get it as permanant as possible so no bottol and aluminium cans of drink ok:)

I choose wood because I am not a good carpenter and there is little of welding........ just to be fair.

Please......... 40 hrs would push me leg to early retirement.......

WDH

13. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

hehe, Welly - I meant "40 hours" as in "working 5 hours one day, 2 another" and so forth. Not fourty hours in a row :) You can spend two months or more if you like, but just forty hours in that timespan. I'm not sure that 40 manhours is enough or too much.

Also, it doesn't include the time spent looking for materials to scavenge.

About the tools: The 100$ wouldn't include tools as you say. But in the same mind, I think it is important to only use "normal" (hand?) tools as that would be what an utter newbie would have at his or her disposal.

14. hansp77

hansp77

Haha.
    Forty hours in a row...:eek:
    that sounds like one of my essays.:eek:

Ok, it is all sounding pretty good.
    The tools are a bit of a grey area,
    it would be hard to not use some special tool that you happen to have available.
    Not much of a problem for me, as I have very few tools.

Andre, I do hope by hand tools you mean hand POWER tools!

Anyway, one more week and I shall try to begin.
    Don't know what plans I shall follow yet, I think I will see what stuff I can find.

15. Wellydeckhand

See, everybody is suspicious about the tools area.......:D:D:D

For tools , I think generic avaliable tools that standard worker would have....... from handsaw for wood 2 type metal saw 1 type, 2 hammer, Mallet, bench screw and stuff............ electric equipment for handheld only no fancy overpower tools..............

I think we gonna state that the project is US$100 build from scatch......... not partly continue stuff.....:)

What else........................ do we need to clarify? before beginnig the project?

Er.......... Are we the ONLY three person interested? What a pity..........:)

Just got news that a bloke a friend of my friend wanna redo his home damage wooden flooring into granite flooring........ damage report 30 % fungus and moistuerised plank but left 70% which half only can be use........... small pieces............(I can post damage report picutre on flooring before I go and tear it just to be fair):D:D:D

WDH

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.