Battery Electric - Lithium Choices

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by Guest625101138, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I thought it time to start collecting information on lithium batteries in one location as there are quite a few battery electric projects under way.

It would be nice to have a point of reference for this emerging technology.

I have started to dabble with lithium. My first purchase was a 5Ah 22V LiPo. It is scary power for 715g. I purchased a charger that can be selected for a range of batteries. The cells go to 4.1V on charge.

My latest Ryobi battery power tool has a lithium battery. It does a nice job but very early days.

I am particularly interested in large format batteries. There are some here:
    http://lithiumenergy.jp/en/products/index.html
    I saw these close up at a car show. I do not think you can buy them yet.

Someone pointed this lot out:
    http://www.valence.com/?q=products/battery_modules/u-charge_xp/specifications

OK - who has lithium batteries and how are they performing?

Rick W

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

5Ah 22v from a 715 kg LiPo battery?

You got ripped off man!

That IS scary.

1 person likes this.
  3. Guest625101138

Thanks Tom. I have corrected the original.

Rick

4. cameron.d.mm

cameron.d.mm Junior Member

5. Guest625101138

Cameron
    Have you any first hand experience with lithium batteries or do you know anyone one using recent Thundersky batteries?

Rick

6. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

So what does the saphion cost ? And are the Altairnano available to consumers?

edit - Cameron, looks like a nice offering. i added it to this here spreadsheet in excel 5.0 format that i made. feel free to modify etc.

Attached Files:

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

We used Saehan Enertech lithium polymer cells in the last solar car I worked on..... depending on conditions and discharge profile, we were getting from 4 to 5 kWh out of a pack that weighed about 30 kg including controller. Great little cells, if a tad finicky. A couple of cars before that, we had a Molicel Li-ion pack made by E-One Moli Energy; I think that pack is in storage now and about 10-12 years old but was still strong enough to run a car when we checked it a couple of years ago.

1 person likes this.
  8. Guest625101138

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

10. jmolan

jmolan Junior Member

11. cameron.d.mm

cameron.d.mm Junior Member

Rick Willoughby,

No, I haven't used them myself (my car will be a lead sled when I get it done) but a lot of people have used them. I'm not so sure on the recent TS batteries, but I know that some horror stories circulated about the older ones.

There are a fair number of people at www.diyelectriccar.com who have gone the lithium route. I think there are some Australians too. Check the 'garage' section of the site and you might find some local owners. Generally people there seem happy to answer questions and share experiences.

12. Guest625101138

13. Guest625101138

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

What will be the correct way to connect LifePO4 batteries parallel?. I assume with diodes to protect the one battery from discharging/charging other packs. But maybe also with Power MosFets.

My apology Rick, I may have been converted to the LiFePO4 concept. I may have gone overboard with the NiMH batteries. Tonight I will show the multiple NiMH pack I am building on the other thread.

Bert

15. Guest625101138

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.