Anchor lifting bouys

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by valvebounce, Apr 16, 2017.

1. valvebounce

valvebounce Senior Member

Haha,I think Gonzo is a technocrat,but a very handy technocrat to know never the less.

2. leaky

leaky Senior Member

Old thread but in practice there is more to it than the weight of the anchor/chain/gear versus buoy, since you have friction and the shape of the anchor involved too. I do this at least 100 times per season in depths 100 to 400 ft.

Typically what someone sees when pulling an anchor via buoy & ring is at first the buoy remains fairly in place and the anchor/line travels up through the ring, as everything starts to stretch out the buoy and anchor are getting dragged by the boat, now the anchor might be actually be exerting a force well beyond it's weight attempting to dive down to the bottom, while at the same time the ball is being planed to the top, a buoy can get pulled under in some circumstances prior to the anchor reaching the surface.

In practice for a danforth style anchor that is ~20 lbs with 50 feet of 5/16 chain (50 lbs on the high end of weight), I use a #4 sized ball, which is a 22 inch diameter ball producing 120 lbs of buoyancy.

Jon

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.