What do you think of the New Sea Ray 680?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Archive, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Archive

Archive Senior Member

I see that Sea Ray has introduced a new larger Sunsport this year... going from 63' last year I believe to 68' this year. (Hull length 65')

How do you think this stacks up against European super-cruisers

2. Archive

Archive Senior Member

At one time I thought that SeaRay really stood out from other production boats (in the days of the original Sundancers and Pachanga's) but I have to say that compared to Baia's or Magnum's, the newest Sunsport looks a bit stretched and disproportionate. I imagine it's hull to be "thin" just based on the looks... of course, this really isn't a fair comparison since I believe the former two are in quite a different price range....

3. Archive

Archive Senior Member

Maybe it is just a case of one well defined style (defined by the smaller Sea Ray's) growing into another class which has typically been dominated by a different "style"...

4. Archive

Archive Senior Member

Did SeaRay invent the mid-cabin layout which elevates the helm above the aft/mid cabin? Or did someone else do this first?

5. Archive

Archive Senior Member

The new sea ray appears to me to suffer from the same problem as almost every other new production boat - function following form.
    Judging by the photos on their web site, the helmsman would be hard pressed to see anything nearer than 100ft in front of him. I own a Searay sundancer and can vouch for their build quality, but when is someone going to realise that safety should always be the first design priority in any project?

6. Archive

Archive Senior Member

I agree with Will and note that ABYC has a visibility standard that the Sea Ray may not meet. Also (I don't know if this applies to the Sea Ray) I have seen hardtops on which the overhead blocks visibility to port when the boat is banked in a hard left turn.
    In general I think the Sea Rays aren't bad but that the British Sunseekers are the best boats in this class.

----------
    Stephen Ditmore
    New York

7. Archive

Archive Senior Member

8. Archive

Archive Senior Member

The 50' Tiara 5000 is also a particularly high quality boat according to Professional BoatBuilder magazine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.