Volvo Turbo Deisel

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by CaptPPan, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Your engine

... its a Volvo Penta tmd 40. It has 165 horsepower. Its a very good engine.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

Common rail injection is the latest big advance in deisel technology, & Volvo Penta seems to be the leader in bringing it to the marine market. I think less smokey exhaust is one of the major benefits. Just a more complete, efficient burn in the cylinders from what I understand.... but I don't know the technical details.

3. gerard baladi

gerard baladi Junior Member

A good article was written in PBB mag. Issue #86 Dec/Jan 2004.

"In a common-rail engine, a precision gear-type pump supplies fuel at similarly high pressures (1,200-1,600 bar (17,400-23,200 psi)) to a tubular reservoir (the common rail) that in turn supplies the individual injectors. Unlike a coventional unit injector, which functions both as a ram-action, high-pressure fuel pump and a fuel-metering device, a common-rail injector is just an ultrafast, electronically controlled valve. The injectors themselves are actuated by tiny solenoids or, in a few cases piezoelectric devices. The common rail is configured to hold a volume of fuel large enough to minimize pressure dips and hydraulic-ram effects asthe injector valves open and close. Along with computerized controls, common-rail technology allows the fuelling process to be fine tuned to the specific operating conditions and instantaneous requirements of the engine with unprecedented precision. Benefits typically include superior fuel efficiency, lower emissions, and noticeably quieter operation."

The article is about 6 pages with pictures and graphs. I don't think I can do it in here.

4. wbassoli

wbassoli New Member

volvo penta tmd 40 workshop manual

Recently I have got a "bertram 28 feet fly"motorized with a pair of TMD 40A
    and I will be very happy to get manuals about this motor.

My address is: Carlo Bassolillo Via Dante, 77 - 09100 CAGLIARI (ITALIA)

5. 28topaz

28topaz New Member

TMD40A Manuals

I've got pdf copies of 1981 manual, 1983 manual that can be emailed. I've also got very high resolution pdf copy that would need to put on a CD and mailed the old fashioned way.

Tom

Turns out all are too big to send with this message. I'll try to email directly.

6. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

for bob goallionzo

There has been some reliability trobules with the 44's.And the cost of maintaining them will make you sick.The D6 is so new I have only seen 2 of them in the field.It is to new to tell how they will pan out.There was a injector line breakage problem with the D6 but that has all been fixed.The carolina classic is one good strong hull.And is also available with 315 H.P. 6LP-STE Yanmars wich are lower tech and cheaper to maintain and run fast in that hull.I bet the D6 would fly to though and it would definately not have all of that stinky cold smoke the yanmar has.And also This site is free to join and you can post you own questions that way with out having to stick it in here with this dudes 40 question.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  7. wbassoli

wbassoli New Member

volvo penta tmd 40 - workshop manuals

I'll be very gratefull if you can send me al manuals of volvo tmd 40 ;Ihave just bought a 28 feet bertram year 1974 remotorized with a pair of these engines. My address is: Carlo Bassolillo - via Dante,77 09100 CAGLIARI (ITALIA) My cell phone is: 0039 340 2407485.
    My best regards
    Carlo B.

8. 28topaz

28topaz New Member

Carlo,

Please give me your email address and I'll email the manual today.

Thanks,

Tom

9. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

pdf files

Mister
    Can you send me a copy of PDF files for Volvo Manual .My email is oktay@cembercidenizcilik.com
    thank You
    Oktay Çemberci
    www.engine-cemberci.com

10. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

Spare Volvo TD

Hi

I've got one of these sitting in my backyard that I'm willing to part with Cheep. If anyones interested give me a call.

It's located in Bellport Long Island New York and obviously you would have to come and get it.

I ran great when I stored it, can't say now.

Jamie
    631-286-4191

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.