Volvo Penta IPS

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by TrendSetter, Dec 29, 2004.

1. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

I would not say this is a HIGH PERFORMANCE option.. as much as i would say an performance enhancing option. i like th idea and in time i hope it works other wise much like some of there old junk i am stuck working on I am gonna point laugh, then cause and say the sweds should stick to things they know. My hope is A] they make a full composite version of this and B] merc follows step and this way we both win cause there is compation.. just look how long Duo-prop was around before merc jumped on it and improved it

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Woodboat - I have certainly seen damage that would have ripped an IPS off. I'm not suggesting that the IPS is any more or less vulnerable than conventional shafts. My criticism of the unit stems from the fact that Volvo started with a blank sheet of paper and have failed - in fact virtually ignored - the fundamental weakness of all drive systems bar jets...their vulnerability to damage from impact.

Gonzo - it really depends on your definition of high performance - if a 25-30 knot cruiser is a high performance boat, then I accept your point....though personally if I could afford a Ferrari I wouldn't drive around with the doors open simply 'cause I could afford to have them ripped off! :D

3. We will never know if it is " better", as none of us will ever get to test 2 boats rigged side by side. No one is THAT impartial.

4. Foward facing props??? I just woke up from a long sleep during the end of WW II. Everything that flew then was being made into a counter rotating prop job with up to 5 blades per prop. Why?? Because you are overpowering the machine so much, that torque is taking control, of the direction of travel. Dumb dumber and stupid. What is the next improvement? 4 counter rotating props? LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT.

5. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

I dont knwo about never, go run down to your local Tiara, Cruisers, or Four skinns dealer and take them for a spin, I am guessing some of your more big time players in this market will pony up for side buy side comperisions

6. Chuck Bates

Chuck Bates Junior Member

According to Volvo some of the highlights of this new propulsion system include:

- Twin engine installation only
    - suited for 37 to 50' boats
    - nibral (nickel/bronze/aluminum) alloy drive and props to limit corrosion
    - EPA 2006/07 approved
    - One supplier for complete package
    - No shaft alignment needed
    - Faster to install
    - Reduced installation time, one person required
    - 12 & 24 volt systems available
    - Integrated water pickup
    - Integrated exhaust system
    - Rudder indicator integrated in system
    - Part of Auto pilot system integrated, interface from Volvo Penta fits Raytheon, Simrad, Autohelm
    - EVC (Electronic Vessel Control) display standard at every helm station
    - through drive exhaust which results in it being expelled in the wake far from the boat
    - Increased accommodation area which may be enough to add another cabin or more to the existing interior layout
    - Flexibility in interior design
    - over 40 different patents pending

Steerable propulsion units enhance maneuverability:
    Maneuvering a 40-foot boat in a congested harbor is not always easy. With a conventional straight shaft, steering capacity at low speeds is severely limited, since the rudder can only steer part of the propeller backwash – most of the thrust propels the boat straight ahead. Handling a boat of
    this type is complicated and demands considerable experience. The 40-foot IPS powered boat feels like a 25-foot boat.

They tested the differences between a IPS-500 (370hp) twin-powered boat and a traditional TAMD63P (370hp) twin-powered prop shaft equipped 41' Cranchi and found:

IPS 500 - Top speed 37 knots
    Traditional - Top speed 31 knots

Acceleration time to reach 25 knots
    IPS - 13.3 seconds
    Traditional- 15.3 seconds

Fuel consuption/range
    IPS - 95 litres per hour
    Traditional - 135 litres per hour

They compare the performance of a 370hp IPS unit to a 500hp traditional shaft drive.

More info at: www.volvopenta.com/ips/gb

7. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

I don't know that low speed maneuverability is that much better. When docking I basically become a tank commander and can pivot my 50 footer on it's axis regardless of wind (well within reason) I agree it probably drives more like a car and if one were to try and dock with rudders only I could see a problem. My rudders are pretty useless when docking.

8. The PR people rig another test to make their product SO much better!!! WE are much better than a old fashioned angled down shaft and propeller drive setup! Are you 30% better than a Mercruiser I/O? 30 % better than a OB? 30 % than surface drives? 30 % better than a AIR BOAT? YOU are 90 % better than a pair of oars.They really think we are dog do do.

9. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

Ok so i gt some funny news, This engine has to have a boat designed around it, hence the new Tiara Sovern going to be shown in FL here in a few weeks... guess they got some big time backing on this with some major companies willing to step up to the plate

10. TrendSetter, I traced the paper trail back.It seems that the engines are the same family,TAMD63P. Shaft drive is rated as a rating 4--370 hp @ 2800 rpm. BUT--IPS is rated 370 hp @ 3500rpm. Why the difference. No TAM has a speed rating of 3500. Special Catagory of a rating 4 engine. I have to stop sleeping next to dog litter boxes.

11. I really believe the IPS is a more eff. system than a shaft that can not be trimmed up. :) Ican e mail the pages to anyone. Rich

12. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

is that dog litter your sleeping next to r is it just the sweet smell of the garden state..lol... Yea i was noticing the same thing a higher reving engine maybe cause it is a rec. engine?

13. I have to credit Volvo. The PR guys are honest. Just read all the print. When do they go up against I/O's? The IPS could still be 1 to 2 % faster. :eek:

14. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

but honestly why the hell would you want an I/O on big boat, even more so why would you want I/O's on something like a 40' Tiara thats gonna cost around $450k large min. guess its just me but I/O's are great for small boats, and great for me as a Marine Mechnic... but not for big boats.. again maybe its just me

15. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

There are lots of reasons why people would want sterndrives - the ability to explore skinny waters, higher top end and cruise speeds &/or more economical in terms of fuel consumption, and most of all - increased amount of space that can be given over to accomodations. Granted, legs tend to be more expensive to maintain, but 1 or 2K per year for a leg service isn't likely to upset too many owners of 500K boats....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.