Volvo Penta 4.3GL - Need Help?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by cpayne3, May 25, 2008.

1. cpayne3

cpayne3 New Member

Hello

I purchased a non-running repo 1999 Monterey Montura 196 with a Volvo Penta 4.3GL at a car auction. The first thing I noticed was that the starter is off laying there unattached and one of the starter bolts is broken off in the block. The starter looks rather new and the auction claimed that the bolt was broken either while removing the starter or putting the new one in. I am not so sure if this is true.

I removed the spark plugs and a few had rust deposits on them and the rear right cylinder (facing front of motor) had some water in it. I am thinking the motor might be seized? I removed part of the impellar and tried turning the crankshaft easily but it will not budge. I have also sprayed some lube in the spark plug holes to try and help break free the cylinders.

The broken end of starter bolt in block - will need extracting eventually?

Options:

1. Put starter in with one bolt, to see if the motor will turn over - but run risk of breaking another starter bolt?

2. Try and extract broken bolt before attaching starter - but might have to pull motor to do this with out ruining the threads- tight fit.

3. Pull motor to extract bolt and maybe unsieze motor more easily?

4. Pull motor and get a new marine short block?

I am a boat novice and need some advice and suggestions for this situation?

Thanks
    Charles

2. tomdcat

tomdcat Junior Member

4 ....defiently 4.....unless you are comfortable rebuilding yourself....I think with block broken down either yourself or rebuild machine shop could get the left over bolt removed

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.