Twin Prop - Single Engine

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by valter.f, Feb 13, 2015.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Every gear has a loss of about 3%. I think that it is unconventional, so more difficult to market. A single engine in the center can be taller on a Vee bottom boat. Also, there are gears that are at different angles than 90 degrees. I think that rather than using two separate 90 degree gears, one gear with two output shafts can be more efficient. The drive shaft can be angled out and u-joint connect them to the drives.

2. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Valter.

I'm not even cat guy, the only reason I see fit for cats is beach-ability and at higher speeds they get better mpg.

Don't think it's an experiment,they've sold quite a few and I'm sure the instruction manual does not say "use only in calm water"

As for the transmission, you may find something similar used in industrial use- mining,logging,steel factory,conveyor etc

3. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

The perfect world would have bluetooth gear available .... :):):)

4. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

In fact, Matry not emphasizes speed in your product, only a significant fuel economy. You're probably right ...

Valter.

5. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

I did not know That It was the experimented solution. This makes it easy to get more references. I like this solution to catamarans. An engine inside the hull is always better than one "table" on the deck .Use only one engine, a very considerable economy.

Valter.

6. valter.f

valter.f Junior Member

Money, the problem is money ... Excuse the pun. I could not resist ...:)

The price of an engine in my country is very considerable. An output that used only one would be really ideal.

Valter.

7. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

If you use hydraulics, this is very feasible.

Of course you now have a whole new set of issues to deal with, heat, inefficiency and a nasty whining noise being a few. But it is easy to have one engine and multiple motors with all off the shelf industrial components.

PDW

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

How do counter rotating prop shafts figure in or out of the "Geared Up" system?

How small are there systems in the marketplace?

9. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

There used to be a setup where the engine was in 'backwards' with the gearbox at the front and the output was a three gang vee belt pulley with a similar on the shaft directly below. (there are now reflex v-drive gearboxes so that the engine is directly over the shaft to get the same effect).

It would have been easy to addapt that system to twin shaft, by replacing the 3 gang on the box with a 6.

Now, if we add a Variable Pitch prop, we can maneuver like a twin engine at the dock...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.