Trolling with Bayliner 175?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rmajoran, Jun 17, 2004.

1. rmajoran

rmajoran New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the board. I just purchased a Bayliner 175. I was told by the sales rep and the marine manager that trolling (fishing) would not be a problem in this boat. I took it out for the first time tonight and was very disappointed with the slowest speed -- it was about 3 times too fast for trolling. So two questions:

1) Is there a way to slow down the idle speed to bring down the trolling speed to something acceptable.

If not,

2) Does this boat have the ability to put a trolling motor on it?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
    Ray

2. Russell

Russell Guest

3. Tall Timber

Tall Timber Junior Member

We use a trolling motor ("kicker")like a 8 horse around here for salmon fishing. Four strokes are clean and quiet. 2-3 knots for salmon and you can get back to the dock if the big motor quits. You can use a sock (or 5 gal buckets with a hole inthe bottom, one off each aft cleat with a 8 foot line) but the big motor will still burn a lot of gas. I have seen people use electric trolling motors mounted forward also. Also seen a 'happy troller' which is a plate that swings down behind the main prop to slow down.

4. Tall Timber

Tall Timber Junior Member

You can mount a kicker on a bracket that goes up and down. If your boat can carry the extra weight you are good to go.

5. Peter Pap

Peter Pap New Member

I just purchased a Glastron mx 175 and asked the rep this question.
    He said if you change the prop it could make a huge difference when trolling. But be careful to watch the tachometer so you don't over rev at high speeds.

6. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

A Bayliner salesman told a fib :eek:

7. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Maybe, maybe not.

I think the best idea is a REALLY SMALL, and I mean REALLY SMALL, kicker motor, between 2-5 hp. any bigger could, well, not be great to have.

8. 2sully

2sully New Member

Trolling with Bayliner 175

Did you ever solve your problem? We had a 175 and trolled frequently with it. We don't know how you might be equipped to know what the issue is. Actually we upgraded to a 215 and are facing the trolling issue now.

9. frog

frog New Member

bay 175 trolling

Hi,can you tell me how you trolled with your 175. Also is there any motor mount you know of that can be mounted on the swim step platform,I want to add a small hp kicker, thanks

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

If 1-3k$ for a perfect trolling motor that mounts on TOP of the sterndrive unit to cause no drag at speed and be electric variable with foward and reverse with the main engine off. It is steered by the helm wheel. They have thrusts over 200#. Post and I will give model#s

11. 2sully

2sully New Member

Trolling with 175

We were at 5,000 ft. in Cody, Wyoming. We had a 14 1/4 x 19" prop and we trolled at just under 2 mph running at 700 rpm. Yes, we understood from Bayliner that we could have put a kicker on the swim platform without having to reinforce it. We just solved our problem with the 215 by having a Happy Troller installed and are very pleased with its performance. We ran at 1.3 mph at 800 rpm. What is your altitute? What size prop do you have? Did you buy the boat new or used?

12. frog

frog New Member

thanks

I dont know altitude off hand, but lake champlain, adirondack mountains nys, bought boat new, 2002, original prop,
    thanks alot

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.