Trawler Recommendations

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by timgoz, Dec 26, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I recently posted a thread regarding Marine Trader trawlers. No advice was forthcoming so I'll go a little more general here.

Regarding 42-44ft trawlers with single or twin 100-135hp diesel propulsion, what would knowledgeable members recommend? I am looking for a mid 70's to early 80's model suitable for a couple to live aboard.

She will need to be a seaworthy design as we intend to potentially live in SE Alaska in an outport area. Two children hopefully will be in our future also.

The boat need only have a double birth and two singles.

Thank you.

Tim

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

The California, comes to mind real fast, as do the Tolly craft's/ If this is a boat you want to do the inside passage on, give me a PM. I do this trip for clients on thier boats just about every year, and I can hook you up with some boats in the Seattle area that are ready to go, just add crew.

K9

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Tim,

I would stay away from production yachts completely as they tend to be far too expensive for what you get. All the Asian built trawlers have problems with leaking/rotting decks, windows leaking/rotting, rusting tanks. These are expensive problems to address unless you do the work yourself, then they are just time consuming.

In BC and Washington state there are lots of well done conversions (fishboat to liveaboard) currently for sale at very reasonable prices. As there are many for sale, it's a buyers market. Have a look at http://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/details.asp?File_Number=PW2085

All the best, Tad

1 person likes this.
  4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I would strongly dissagree with that Tad. The fishing boat conversions are ok, but there are a LOT of production boats that do not have leaking decks, windows, and such.

Tad is right, it IS a buyers market.

2 people like this.
  5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thank you both. My real desire is to build a steel vessel or fit out a bare hull assembly.

I have some idea of the magnitude of such an endevour. As a machinist & possesing basic welding skills, I feel with proper help I could complete such a project. Time & space would be the main constraints.

Tad, I will check out your link. With most fishing craft being displacement hulls, they would fill the bill in that area. Having been up the Inside Passage on a ferry and living a summer in the back bay at Port Protection I do like the idea of a steel or alloy boat.

Thanks again for your replies and have a good holiday season.

Tim

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Speaking in massive generalities is dangerous and Kay is right, many yachts are sound. In my opinion few yachts are suited to year round service in Alaska. Weak points are mooring and anchoring gear, ventilation, and heating. Ex fishing vessels tend to be equipped with heavy and simple gear that will stand up long term.

In the current market it is far more economical to buy any used (fairly complete) boat and upgrade/refit to suit. Building new makes little sense even if you get the hull cheap because systems and gear are so expensive. Even to the point of buying a junker boat and stripping the gear off and building a new hull and deck. For instance I recently bought a big wooden boat, included was a large Dickinson oil stove, current new price of the stove alone is more than half of what I paid for the entire boat!

Of course everything I say is based in personal preference, I would rather own a classy wooden fishboat than a glitzy ss and black glass trimed yacht.

Tad

7. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Yea have to agree with Tad here. LOTS of boats for sale in just about every kind of condition and hull material you can think of. You should really check the market out. You can even get creative financing ie owner financing if need be.

K9

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

My real desire is to build a steel vessel or fit out a bare hull assembly.

I have some idea of the magnitude of such an endevour. As a machinist & possesing basic welding skills, I feel with proper help I could complete such a project. Time & space would be the main constraints.

A fine endavor that can easily eat up 2 or 3 years , and still end up with a hull with lower resale .

My suggestion is to find a 50ft US Navy Utility boat and simply build an alloy deck and house.

These are almost new! with a new 6-71 or Cummins and will run about $50K for a boat you can drive home!

The hull is Fire retardant resin , heavily (unbelievable) built and can in future years be used as an inspected vessel to carry passengers for hire.''

Don't think you can cobble together the parts these represent for $50K.

FF

9. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Tim,

I presume you subscribe or at least read Passagemaker magazine. This is a tremendous resource for all sorts of practical information on Trawlers. They sponsor TrawlerFest in various locations around the country, and you might consider going to one of those to hob-nob with others like yourself who are either considering getting a trawler or have the experience of owning/operating one. The TrawlerFest website is:

http://www.trawlerfest.com/Default.aspx?TabId=325

I will be at the Stuart, FL, TrawlerFest on a panel discussion with Chuck Neville and Steve Seaton discussing "Compromises in Boat Design", sure to be a fun topic (Friday, 25 Jan '08). There will be others up near you, in New York (June) and Maryland (Sept). For the left coasters, there will be a TrawlerFest in Anacortes, WA (May).

When my wife and I moved to Florida four years ago, one of the options we considered briefly was a live-aboard trawler. Ultimately, we decided not to because it would not save us any money--I would still need to have an outside office for which I would have to pay rent and utilities, so instead we bought a house so that I could have an office in the home. But what I found was that there are A LOT of Grand Banks 36's and 42's on the market. These are designs that go back decades, and there are plenty of boats to these designs in all different states of care, and accordingly, price range. These are very reliable designs, commonly available, and in good condition are generally easy to sell. There is a continuing demand for them. So I think that would be a good avenue to pursue.

In a small size, steel may be harder to come by, they are fewer and farther between. But Chuck Neville's designs are pretty popular, as are Steve Seaton's, and if you get a chance to come down to Florida for TrawlerFest, you can meet both of them, and they may have some suitable plans or ideas for you to consider.

I hope that helps.

Eric

10. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Eric,

Thanks for the information. In 1991 I went through Chapman's PMT course. It would be nice to get down to Stuart and see my old instructors. With my girlfriend and I visiting one another (she is in England) on a semi-regular basis, both time & $$$ are at a premium right now.

What are your thoughts on the Marine Trader line? They seem to sell for a lower price. I figure there is good cause for the above. The GB trawlers certainly give a feel of a solid, seaworthy boat.

Seems as good used steel boats are very rare. People tend to hold onto them.

Hope the TrawlerFest goes well.

Take care.

Tim

11. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I really don't know enough about the Marine Traders to know. I'd keep asking questions until you get some concrete answers. Also, be sure that if you do find a boat, that you get a good marine surveyor to survey it. Older boats may be OK on their hull structure, but its the systems that really start to deteriorate. Everything really depends on the quality and care of the equipment installed, almost more so than the structure.

Eric

1 person likes this.
  12. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

You might want to get a subscription to Boats and Harbors mag. A lot of the Uniflite navy personell boats your looking for there.

Here is thier web addy.
    http://www.boats-and-harbors.com/

K9

13. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Try this one also...

Classic Yacht e-magazine

A great article about Grand Banks inside.

Best to all for a great 2008 :!:

Leo

14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

While a Grand Banks 36' or 42' is reasonably well built and they used to hold value fairly well, in the current market there are too many for sale. Big discounts are required to sell.

Due to low freeboard and little flair forward they are really wet bucking into any sea. And due to small rudders/deep forefoot they are lots of work to steer offwind in a big sea. Fine boat for the intercoastal though.

Tad

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.