Transom repair

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Aurorasteve, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Aurorasteve

Aurorasteve Yorkuk

Hello !

I have just successfully bid to win a wooden boat on eBay in uk and the previous owner has advised me that the transom is cracked as the outboard prop hit the ground when the trailer was being rolled up the driveway causing it to crack on the right side . He tells me that it can be repaired with wood glue and clamp and then bolt an aluminium transom plate over the crack I have pictures of the damage that the seller sent post the end of auction and he is prepared to negotiate

Can any of you take a look at the photos I have and give me some advise as to the best way to repair it and what it might cost .

Unfortunately this is my first post and I don't know how to attach pictures to this post but I could email it to somebody .

Thanks steve

2. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum Steve.
    Please click Go Advanced or the blue Post Reply button, click Manage Attachments and select the photo to upload and click upload. Then submit the post with the photo(s) attached so other members can the boat and the transom problem in detail.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum Steve. It's unlikely the repair is as easy as the previous owner suggests (metal plates over cracks are a joke). Wooden boats are fairly flexible, so cracks aren't common with a relatively minor impacts like that, so, it's probable you have other things cracked or loosened too. Typically these would be bent, loosened or pulled fasteners, other cracked or other wise damaged elements, like transom knees, stringers, etc. Post some pictures and we'll have a look.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

When I saw 'transom repair' in the title I knew I'd find you here sooner or later, Paul. How many of them do you figure you've done over the years? :p

5. PAR

I don't want to talk about it. It's in the same category as my age and baldness denial thing.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

you will be pleased to know

And I don't even look any more !!
    :D

7. Aurorasteve

Aurorasteve Yorkuk

transom damage

these are pictures from both sides of the transom .

ive ckecked that the crack is limited to this side only and doesn't seem to have caused any damage to surrounding areas .

the boat is beautifully designed hand crafted from 55 design by a uk marine engineer . It was sold onto a collector who bought it from the ageing designer / builder and I have some original pictures of the work undertaken which I will post later .

I am hoping you can help me name the type of design as its difficult now to reach the original owner .

thanks for any help on above

regards

steve

Attached Files:

8. PAR

The good news is it can be fixed. The bad news is the transom is shot. A crack like that is a huge impact, not a prop banging on a driveway. It looks like it was backed into a fixed object like a curb, where the outboard's leg hit, but the boat continued, twisting the transom backward, busting it up. The core is delaminated, the outer skin cracked and separated, the cap is split and you likely have attachment issues to the planking, knees and stringers too. Simply put, the transom has to come off (not easy on a molded boat) and the core replaced, then the whole shebang glued and fastened to the planking, knees and stringers (if appropriate). The advise of the previous owner shouldn't followed, it's a band-aid on a gaping wound.

9. Aurorasteve

Aurorasteve Yorkuk

Band aid over the wound

The pictures do make it look worse than it actually is .

If glued and then clamped with appropriate materials ,would it be strong enough to deal with stresses no greater than 8 knots on river boating .

I will be taking it to local boatyard on Wednesday to get it looked at .

Thanks for your prompt reply , wish we lived close by , you sound like a very knowledgable authority .

Keep you posted . Steve

10. PAR

The athwart fibers in the wood have been broken. The likely two piece core is delaminated. You might be able to fix one or the other, but probably not both, without disassembly.

The transom's delamination probably caused the upper portion of the outer skin, to move 8" - 10" away from it's current location, during the "event". Much of this will have slapped closed again, when the pressure was released. How much of the core separated? Who knows, but squirting in some glue and hoping for the best isn't a sound approach.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.