Tow Car face off - Vogue vs Cayenne

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by freddy147, Nov 29, 2012.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Frosty did you read my post?
    AND I still am involved to a small extent in the industry.

If I cared and had the time I could post auto ratings from many companies-LR/RR is at the bottom in nearly every category.
    Once they are out of warranty the value crashes 20%.

I do know that almost all aftermarket warranty companies either won't even offer warranties for them-or charge a few thousand dollars and are very limited in time and limited in what is covered.
    On Japanese cars you can buy a warranty for a few hundred dollars...and it's good for 3 years...and covers everything.

Many of the older ones are good-but the new ones are not.
    I drove around AUS last year-saw zero newer LR/RR in the remote areas...

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I wish i could get fish to bite as easy as you frosty.:)

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes Van I did read that and to be honest I was surprised you would therefore be involved in an argument such as this.

I written before of my RR apprenticeship (that the real RR not a Range Rover) and my final job as Transport manager to the mighty American Sealands shipping co in Dubai.

The list of my fleet started off as 275 trailers 20 GMC and 20 dodge etc etc.

These conversation are ametuer --Oh my wife had an old one and didnt like it is bull and usless information to be used to make a desicion on a vehicle.

No man in the street can give a feed back on a vehicle.

I was also Service Manager for Renualt for the UAE any warranty claim went through me ---any. I gave a new car away once --I had the power.

A modern 4 wheel drive will do anything it says on the box--with a good driver.

With a poor driver a Toyota Landy would be no better that a good driver in a VW beetle.

Now--- with you being in the trade you will know how well the man in the street can drive or more he thinks he can.

4. WestVanHan

Frosty I was the 3rd poster and stated my qualifications-advised him against it-am not involved in any argument,how you get that I dunno.

I don't try to believe I know how everyone can drive....

All anyone needs to do is read used car reports,or look at a Range forum to see the modern Range/Land Rovers have quality issues.

From Britain:

"For 2011, the survey ranked the Land Rover brand last Land Rover has ranked last for 10 consecutive years"

And similarly all over the world.The guy wanted advice-and being experienced with them-I gave it.

I have talked about a dozen customers out of buying LR/RR- four ignored my advice and each one sorely regretted it.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not a fan of Range rovers since the first batch came out with Stromberg carbs and they rounded off cams as did the same year Rover 3.5. Same engine.

I spent almost all day every day fitting cams and collapsed followers (lifters) .

I know those probs are well behind me but.....

Lets say just every horse dealer and every farmer had a Land rover or a Range rover in UK.

In the deserts of wadi bashing in UAE Range rover had not the power and were eaten alive by the Toyota.

Toyota can have the 1HD engine that comes in 250 to 300HP flavour.

Im not advizing nothing.

Too much emphasis on 4 wheel drive. I know people that have them to go to Tecos or that they bought a dog.

To the anonymous point deductor is that more information for you.

I used to pull round a big heavy boat in Uk with an Oldsmobile Cuttlass brougham.

It had a tow ball on the front bumber too. Bolted straight thru --no bracket

I also used a trade in Volvo 144. I never needed 4 wheel drive.

On Fridays in UAE I pulled the clubs Master craft with a Renault 30 that was the big v 6 split crank case the formula 1 was based on . I could get 200 KPH out of it with air con off.

Pulling out the Master craft I just dropped the clutch and lit the front tyres up. Its screeched and belowed for while then it bit in and pulled,--smoke everywhere much to the amuzement of by standers, tyres were cheap and I did'nt pay for them. Better than riding the clutch as ---others do.

6. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

Oh how the other half live!
    This thread cracks me up! I can not even afford a car, and heres a chap asking should he get a Range Rover or a Porsche to tow his powerboat.:rolleyes:

Then there is an Aussie slagging off English cars! I have made airfix models with better build quality than a Holden.;)

Have you considered an MK Bedford? Power, comfort, panache.:eek:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Pretty much hit the nail square on the head there Number 4.

None of these people have heard of British quality like the Reliant Robin for instance.

8. Number4

Number4 Previous Member

The funniest program that I have ever watched on tv was Jeremy Clarkson testing the Reliant Robin on Top Gear. He rolls it about five times.

The world is dying, there is a global recession thanks to the banksters, there are riots across Europe against austerity, yet here we are discussing supercharged Range Rover versus turbo charged Porsche. I see lots of both in London, but never with muddy wheels, and they are always driven by the same type of person.

Personaly I would buy a Sprinter van to tow a boat, and spend the change on booze, drugs, and hookers. Much better value for money.

I have seen a Landcruiser tow a trailer full of motor bikes through a river with water half way up the windscreen, a Nissan Patrol tow a 7 tonne fertilizer trailer and a Hilux pull a pea harvester out of a bog hole. In Pattaya they tow three jet skis behind a moped with a side car with a driver and three passengers hanging on. There are plenty of decent towing vehicles. The only thing that matters is how much you like to burn money.

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Perhaps if you spent less on 'drugs, booze and hookers' you could afford to by a Range Rover:p

My Landrover is 15 years old... I can't afford a RR either....

The Bedford, however, was a great suggestion. I owned one of them 20 years ago - a long wheelbase, dual real wheel, with a Holden 6 cyl engine. Fabulous tow vehicle - and a turning circle that would put any of these 4WD's to shame.

10. WestVanHan

And you are wasting electricity by posting here.

If you can't afford a car,why do you care about what others do with their money?

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Most 4 wheel drives certainly the early ones dont have a true 4 wheel drive.

For instance take your Range rover even with third diff or not ,--jack just one wheel off the ground and it wont be able to drive.

If you select diff lock it will turn 2 wheels.

Early Land rovers would have 'wind up' and crack a shaft. They had a plaque on the transmission tunnel to warn you to not use it unless the wheels are leaving the ground.

So with a 4 wheel drive actually being a 2 wheel drive you would be better off with a torqy old yank tank with a limited slip diff.

Too much bull over 4 wheel drive as Number 4 says you see them in the supermarket without mud. Lets face it you need a Range Rover if you have a dog.

A 747 is 340 tons and is pushed around.

12. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I have many years experience towing, and owning just about every make of car and truck over the last 37 years of driving and working on cars and trucks.

Toyota makes some of the best trucks, but they are very costly, and when you get one large enough to tow something heavy, it will eat a lot of fuel. But much more reliable than a RR or a Porsche (which I have also owned). I had considered this and how often I need to tow, and compared it to my daily driving need.

Even with insurance and registration costs, it was best to just buy two vehicles, a lightweight are reliable car for daily driving (or even a sports car if you want), and an older cheap, but reliable heavy tow vehicle. We bought a well cared for Ford one ton, lots of miles but in decent shape, for towing, only cost $3000. And I kept my economical toyota station wagon for daily driving. I did all the maintenance, for which parts were cheap for the Ford, and most of the cost of owning it was registration and insurance, other than the fuel it consumed when we used it.

Five years later we sold both the trailer and the Ford, for almost the same we paid for it. It also made a great "extra" car, and something big for hauling occasional building materials, etc. When one of our other cars needed maintenance, we had something else to drive.

If you buy something "nice" to drive everyday, but also large enough to tow with, you will spend a lot of money for something larger than your daily need, and consumes more fuel too.

Full sized Chevys and Fords both have their issues, I have owned each, not sure I could say one is better than the other. I like the ford engine and fuel management sytem (it was a 1996), but the Chevy 3/4 ton had better brakes and suspention, all needed far more maintenace than the Toyotas, Mazdas or Nissan trucks I have owned, but the ford and chevy had much more towing capacity for a lot less money when bought used as a extra car.

I enjoyed my Porsche, a lot of fun to drive and a very nice "driver's car", but it too was an "extra" car, and not really much utility. I did all my own service on it (including heavy maintenance), so the maintenance bill was not too bad. I can not say the same thing about the British cars I have worked on for family members and friends. I do not think I would ever own one.

That has been my experience, and what I would recommend to anyone. Get a used but good condition tow vehicle just for towing, and the odd heavy hauling that one occasionally has to do. And buy another vehicle just for your daily driving. You can not, and should not, use the same vehicle to do both functions.

13. WestVanHan

That's about the best way to go-I never mentioned it as he seems to have his heart set on something nice.

For my runabout boat/trailer I have a '94 Dodge 4X4 1 ton with a V10 on propane that I insure with the very basics for 6 months a year.
    It has 200 k miles,is beat up,and I bought it for $1200. All I've spent on it is $200 to re-do all the propane lines.
    I can still sell it for a couple grand,and get much of my insurance money back if I wanted to.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I got a Mazda truck like Ford with 250 k on the clock but genuine mileage!!!

Its clean inside with all the electrics and cloth seats.

I dont pull boats but I can get a big bike in the back.

It does nothing but drive from Malaysia to Bangkok every 6 weeks --its in the car park in Thailand now,---well thats where I left it 6 weeks ago.

Ille get in it start it and drive 1400 km don't even lift the bonnet.

Sits at the house 6 weeks then back again --its been doing that 14 years.

original exhaust and not even a fan belt. batteries ever 3 years.

Mazda 2500 12 valve 5000 rpm red line with a manual.

I hate it. I want a new one with SAuto but the exchange rate is crap.

15. freddy147

freddy147 Junior Member

Thanks (most of you)

Hi all and thanks to all of those who provided some sensible feedback.

Tempted by the idea of a separate tow car and daily drive, although that's double rego, insurance etc, plus space to park etc which are ongoing expenses, and part of the idea of a trailerable boat is to freeze costs if I absolutely need to. I've chosen to sacrifice the beam for something I haven't got the consistent fees of a mooring if times to get tough, so not keen to offset that by having another car to keep on the road.

I should have been a little more clear in my first post; if I buy another range rover it will be my fifth, I loved them all from the classic the l322. I was just advised that a cayenne turbo would be a better tow car, so looking for some comparative experience. I drive an old A3 to work because its cheap and sensible, the RR (like a cayenne I'm sure) gives a sense of occasion when driving on the weekends or when a four pot hatchback is just too small. Cruisers and ford pickups just don't do it for me, that's just my taste (or maybe lack thereof!)

If I can distill my original question; between a 2005 supercharged vogue and a 2004 cayenne turbo, what would your pick be and why? Assume all else (Kms, service history etc is equal)

For those of you that haven't got anything useful to add I'm sure there's a 12 year old elsewhere on the internet you can be arranging to meet in a playground in your sweatpants.

Again, thanks for the time taken to reply.

Chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.