Thermostat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by goodoldboat, Sep 15, 2006.

1. goodoldboat

goodoldboat New Member

I had my boat serviced and new I needed a thermostat replaced. I assumed it was taken care of so I boated this season. I went to winterize the boat and found there was no thermostat however I didn't have any problems during the season. Do I need a thermostat?

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

YES! if you want the engine to last.

FAST FRED

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Thermostats are used to bring the engine to operating temperature quickly by shutting off the radiator. Cars are designed for all weather conditions and where I am, if a thermostat in a car blocks or malfunctions it is common to remove it.

In a boat you may have better cooling which means you engine may be running too cold. However you should have a temperature gauge, does it take too long to heat up?

4. kiwi 1

kiwi 1 New Member

hi mate take it out and keep it out. what engine do you have? a Thermostat is just there to resrict the flow of water at low speed to keep the engine warm etc etc however ask yourself this do you spend 90% at full speed or 90% at slow speed my guess is you go fast like us all, therefor you should keep iit out that way you are maximising the watrer flow to the engine plus there i no way the wax can keep it stuck shut. what engine do you have? what are you problems with the engine, have you tested the thermostat to make sure know one is telling lies to you :) ?

5. StianM

StianM Senior Member

thrmotat is neaded unless you have a electric pump that regulate the water flow.

A too cood engine will not work optimal and if the engine are not able to maintain a stable temperature during manovers and operation under diferent conditions the life span will be reduced.