thai boat plans needed..

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by thailandboy2004, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

I'm also interested in following developments with your design, Synns. If you find there's a market for it I think Fox Lane Boatworks might be interested in building one - with you fully credited, of course.

2. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

One thing that would be interesting to know is what the weight estimate and center of gravity are, and how these things relate to the onset of porpoising. Also if there's a reason you have not gone to higher deadrise at the bow (which could be developed conically - I can help with this if you like).

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Yes it is a zombie thread. Notice the last 3 posters does not exists, reputation zero/nada/nothing.

4. Colonel Monk

Colonel Monk Junior Member

Yes, well, if there were alot of other topics on this subject I suppose I'd have found them....

I have contacted the poster of the plans thru the board admin, hoping to hear something back.

I have searched to the end of the internet, and at least in the english language, there is nothing close to resembling plans for a thai racing boat except for what is in this zombie thread.

That's why I used my necromancer thai FU to bring it back to life....

But seriously, in other interweb forums, zombie threads may be an issue, but just because somebody hasn't talked about a thai boat design in a year and a half, who cares? Is it any less relevant?

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That vessel design posted by Synns is definitely more of the 'racy type' longtail.

I was just over in Thailand for Jan and Feb, and paid a visit up to the Kancanburi area (bridge on river Kwai) as I wanted to see some of the floating house varieties they have up there (entertainment rafts and houseboats, and floating resorts).

One morning I was out surveying the 'fleet' and ran across some real interesting 'pusher boats' they use to move these rafts around. I'll post some of those photos soon.

I only got a few photos of those racy types that transport the tourist up and down the river as they did not hold a great deal of interest to me at the time. Here is one. They are sort of grown up versions of these small racing ones

Attached Files:

6. Colonel Monk

Hey Brian!

Thanks for posting those!!

This is quickly becoming an obsession for more information....

I'm definitely looking to build a racy version of thai longtail. If I ready Synns print right, that is a larger boat (approx 18ft tail to tip) and I'd def be looking to do one like that. I'm not young anymore, my days of kneeling in a boat are over! So little bigger boat gives some other options..... Plus, the smaller ones, well, it's usually a little rougher than that around here....

I'm fascinated with all manner of boats - but ever since traveling to SE asia for work I see so much interesting stuff, and the "fly by night" ingenuity, getting by without "so much" is inspiring.

If you haven't seen any of the racing footage on youtube, check it out. That so much speed in a boat could be done with so little and so precariously? Crazy!

Now, I keep trying to figure out what's below the water. Am I to believe that there are small sponsons on either side toward the front? I'm trying to tell if it's rockered or flat....

CM

7. Colonel Monk

I didn't even notice the "house boats"!! HA! Those actually move?

I reread your post - they are moved via "tugs"....

Still, very interesting.

8. brian eiland

Wait till you see these little tugs :!: ...they were great.
    I'll post them after I finished with this XP to Win 7 moving job

9. blownt

blownt New Member

10. brian eiland

11. brian eiland

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.