thai boat plans needed..

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by thailandboy2004, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ecosystems

ecosystems New Member

I enjoyed the conversation and I want to build one of the boat motors pictured using a small one cylinder diesel. Do you know what type of bearing they use in the end of the pipe next to the prop. I don't think I could use a rubber cutless bearing, because it has to be water lubricated. I assume they just raise the prop out of the water while running if the motor doesn't have a neutral or reverse gear.

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

They use wood bearings,even on big trawlers with shafts of 6 inch or more lumps of wood sat soaking in big smelly tanks are removed and fitted into a 4 jaw chuck and turned down.

I asked the guy how long the bearing would last ,--he said 3 years.

Thats 3 years trawling most days.

4. muddin redneck

muddin redneck DO IT IN THE MUD!!!

does anyone know where there is a good place to buy a reasonable price prop for a long tail motor that would go on a thai long boat
    thanks

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The props they use here are very very cheap. The smallest is 1 dollar--thats machined and ready to fit,--but its only 4 inch Dia.

The common one is AAA and makes them up to 24 inch x 2 blade, --always 2 blade

At a guess they are about 40 dollar.

Now --how you can get one --I hav'nt a clue.

Trip over for a quick holiday!!

6. muddin redneck

frosty what do you think it would cost to ship one of those props to the usa. do you know of any outlet here in the usa that might carry a similar style prop

7. muddin redneck

and also what would be the standard size prop for a 6.5 hp engines and what would it be fore a 16 hp engine thanks for your help

8. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you mean like this ,,,,,

9x9 with 2 :1 reduction...taper roller bearing at end of shaft ..more detais on all these 6.5 under Weedeater and thai longtail with 6.5 lifan..remember if you pass the shaft under the motor you can use a right hand prop which is much more easily available in the USA ..clearly the Thai make left hand props

Look under DIY marinizing

Attached Files:

9. muddin redneck

pistnbroke why do you have to use a 2:1 reduction wouldnt it go faster with just a direct drive

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

slower rotating props are more efficient ..its the power that drives the boat not the rpm..... if you used direct drive you would have a prop with half the pitch but twice the rpm .. .....some of the thai drives are 6:1 but the lower gog gets a little large ..as long as the prop matches the engine you will get your best speed.

with my arrangement you can use easily available right hand prop ( in west usa europe ) ..in Thailand left hand props are easy to get

11. muddin redneck

pstnbroke do you worry about engine tilt i thought you couldnt tilt a 4 stroke engine more than about 15 degrees? how long is your shaft and shaft tube? do you think you could use a short shaft under the motor and then use a u joint to tip the shaft down to the correct angle while keeping the motor level?

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I think you need to read the existing posts I have indicated to you ...Weedeater conversion and thai with 6.5 both in the DIY marinising .....I think 15 deg is about it if you have a 60 inch shaft ...fill the sump when its tipped to 15 deg through the high fillers and use a modern 10 /30 oil ..the kart racers add extra oil because it climbs the crankcase walls on corners......the thais dont let the angle worry them ....see Frostys photos

13. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Hi. The photo replies give you the rough idea already. What is missing, is details about bottom curve and keel line.
    If you get stuck here, I can try and go to the beach, find a sample and get you some measures.
    Let me know.
    Best regards from ... Pattaya

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hey who's this guy from Jomtien? About 3 Km from my house.

Theres no longtails on Jomtein ,--jet skis yes.

You would have to got to Naklua or Ban saray for some good examples.

15. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

Hi Frosty,
    I am at ocean marina, making powerboats and one (since Sunday) very famous ferry catamaran boat...;) ; and yes indeed: my home is in Ban Saray.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.