thai boat plans needed..

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by thailandboy2004, Nov 27, 2007.

1. thailandboy2004

thailandboy2004 Junior Member

one more thing frosty if you don't mind, but no big hurry tho, if you have or could get me two pictures, one of the boat bottom or upside down view so i can see how the boat is shaped, and one of the boat from exactly side ways so i can use it to do a 3 veiw drawing..i can pretty much tell the top view from the photos you already have...thanks tom

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

They dont have any upside down ones, and anyway Im busy tomorrow and Im going to India on Tues. It will have to be a while, while>

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Many Photos coming

I know I suggested this 'search' of this forum before, but I just wanted to double check....you did find the other 6-7 subject threads on this forum didn't you??

I'm over in Thailand at this time and I manged to get you a large number of photos of these boats, and some close up shots of their construction and engine installations. You will have to wait for a few days until I can get them downloaded from my camera and separated out from the other material I have on it.
    Brian

4. Yukoner

Yukoner New Member

How is Your Research Going

Thailandboy2004: Just wondering how your research was going. I have been wanting to build a Thai longtail boat since I visit Thailand 6 year ago. I just recently returned from my second trip but only saw the ones in Bangkok. I would prefer to build the same style you are interested in. I would agree with the other messages that these things are built without plans and vary by the individual or area. I decided to build a old style Yukon River boat instead for a trip this summer.

5. Yukoner

Yukoner New Member

Bangkok Boat Photos

See attached photos. I was more interested in figuring out how the motor and drive shaft mounted. Forgot to take good hull photos.

Attached Files:

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I posted a picture of the engine frame in #27.

Those pics you have posted are the bigger ones sometimes using the Hino EK 700 ( fabulous engine) and have a gearbox. I dont know what they do if anything about a thrust bearing.

The smaller types use a reduction chain drive, quite severe reduction too, at a guess say, 6:1

7. Yukoner

Yukoner New Member

Thanks Frosty. Your pictures will be great if and when I get around to designing something. Good point about the thrust bearings. I would imagine it would need something as I am not sure if the crank shaft bearings would be adequate.

8. brian eiland

Thai longtail photos

Oops, forgot about these photos I took. I have many so I may have to spread them over several postings.

To begin with I took most of these in Chalong Bay on Phuket Island

Attached Files:

9. brian eiland

More Photos

more photos...note straight line keel

Attached Files:

10. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

boats for Myanmar cyclone relief/recovery
    --------------------------------------------------
    If anyone has information concerning boats available for Myanmar cyclone relief/recovery, please go to http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22384
    and post the information there.

THANKS!

11. brian eiland

Motor shots

some photos of motors, air and water kooled

Attached Files:

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

13. brian eiland

Construction Photos

One morning I was walking way down the beach trying to discover a 'back way' into the boat yard and ran into these longtails being built and repaired.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Brian,

Those photographs, especially the last set really grabbed my attention. Thanks for posting them. The forefoot of the blue boat (pictures #7 & #8) is intriguing. Will the builder simply replank those frames, in spite of the rusty nail holes, or "sister" them, d'you think? http://boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21180&d=1210180870

Picture #10 would suggest that Vikings set foot in Thailand. http://boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21182&d=1210180870

Thailandboy2004,

I believe that type of hull would be simple to reproduce as a BS 1088 & Epoxy Resin cold moulded shell and with duckboards, would be easy to move around in. My feet would battered in minutes tripping over the frames otherwise.:( :( :(
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21181&d=1210180870

All in all, worthy of note and out of the ordinary.

Regards,

Perry

15. brian eiland

Old & New

Found a few more photos from Chalong Bay, and some of them really contrast the old longtail vessels with the modern vessels now used for the dive charter operations...looks like a le-mans start doesn't it

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.