Strip Plank Boat Plans

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Thomasw, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Thomasw

Thomasw Junior Member

Does anyone know of a boat plan for a strip plank design, approx 25' long, beam 8.5', trailerable. Some thing designed for two people to cruise in with basic creature comforts. I have found numerous plans for marine plywood but have been struggling with strip plank. I am looking for a boat/plan that has traditional lines in this type of construction. I will, for the most part, be working solo on this project and do not see myself handling 25' long hull panels for the stitch and glue type hull, and of course, I do not want to be limited to the hull shape due to the cylinders and cones restrictions associated with plywood. Ideally, I would like to power this vessel with a 200+ HSP 4 stroke outboard. To help clarify, the boat would be very similar to the C-Dory 25' cruiser with regards to accomadations and size, not appearance. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thomas

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Interestingly, the conic sections that are necessitated by flat panel construction are ideal for planing hulls.
    When you say that you intend to use a 200hp o/b, is this because you already have an engine, or think you'll need this much power? (or coz you want to go fast!)
    I ask this because you can build a boat this size that requires a lot less than that - like 50hp
    If you're not 100% set on using strip plank then check out Tom Lathrop's Blue Jacket 24 ( http://www.bluejacketboats.com/index.htm )
    If you are, send me a PM and maybe we can sort something out..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.