Stall when Shifting

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by mzgjty, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mzgjty

mzgjty Junior Member

Guys and Gals.
    I'm new to the world of owning a boat, all your help in greatly appreciated.

I have a 1988 Four Winns 160 Horizon.
    It has a 130 4 Cyl. Carburated.

When I shift it into gear it tries to stall out on me.

I traced it down to a switch mounted on the engine. The shifter cable end hits this switch when shifting, it has a "cam" motion to it.

So, why does it need a switch to shift, and why is this switch making it stall? Does it retard the timing so it shifts into gear easier????

Again, thanks for all of your advice. :!:

2. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

this problem is usually the idle RPM is set to low a gearbox takes so much horsepower
    when it engages and the engine is idling to slow..
    check your engine rpm at idle hot.
    don

3. mzgjty

mzgjty Junior Member

Thanks!
    I will try it out.
    The boat is still in storage for the Winter, so it'll take me a bit to get to try this.

Thanks!

Rob

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you have a shift interrupt switch, your engine is either a Mercruiser or an OMC. The switch momentarily interupts the ignition to allow the clutch dog to disengage. Considering the age of your boat the intermediate shift cable is most probably the problem. It has too much friction and doesn't allow the switch to swing back to neutral. This is very common. If you change the cable yourself, follow the adjusting instructions carefully, they are critical. Also, adjust it with the drive trimmed all the way down.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Gonzo is dead on, I just dealt with this same problem on a early 70's Mercrusier w/Alpha. I've seen two types, one with two wires (isolated ground) and one with one wire. In this case the switch was done, but most times it's a poorly adjusted cable or owner installed cable.

6. mzgjty

mzgjty Junior Member

I am pretty sure it’s an OMC

In the process of winterizing the boat:

With the engine running and idling in "neutral", I pushed the contact on the switch in the engine compartment and the engine stumbled. So I am assuming the switch in the engine bay works fine?? I believe the switch has two wires but not 100% positive on that one. I was bewildered at why the boat would have this switch, but gonzo's post explains it well.

There is in fact friction in the cable, kinda hard to shift; actually it’s not smooth at all when engaging disengaging.

7. CaptPPan

CaptPPan Junior Member

Gonzo does it again. I had the same problem with a mercruser and changing the cable solved the problem

8. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

If it has the big rubber boot around the drive at the transom, it's definitely an older OMC. Got a picture? :D

9. mzgjty

mzgjty Junior Member

The boat is in storage so unfortunately I cannot take a picture. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can get it out soon.

Thanks Again!
    :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.