Speedometer Stopped Working????

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by BMcAustin, Jul 4, 2005.

1. mediator

mediator Junior Member

Another shot of the engine.

3rd view of motor.jpg

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

[​IMG]

Does your gauge look like #1?

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

This concerns an Alpha-1 2nd generation.

There is a very small triangular cut at the back of the lower housing, serving as a "Pitot tube" for the speedometer. The vacuum passes two gaskets and a short piece of plastic hose to arrive at the transom inner housing, where the vacuum line to the speedometer is connected at a barb fitting.

That is the place for things to go wrong. It is a tiny piece of brass just above the incoming water hose under the steering lever; the vacuum line is just pushed on with no space for a hose clip, so it easily pops off.

4. mediator

mediator Junior Member

Thanks but none of the gauges look like my speedo gauges these look like tacs.

5. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Its the little Hole on the front edge of your Outdrive. You will find a usually black plastic 1/8" tube that is connected inside.

If you removed the lower unit for service the tube most lilky disconnected.

PAR. Would you have an extra Speedomet Gage that you want to get rid of, I have a pitot pickup hanging around and would not mind adding a gagspeedo to my boat for Trolling Speed.

Maybe I can trade you some Johnso/Everude parts?
    I Have lots of them. http://**********************/index_files/Page470.htm

Capt Walt

6. mediator

mediator Junior Member

I think it is just clogged, I am in Panama and there has been so much flooding here the canal looks like melted chocolate lots of dirt in the Canal. It had been working until I took it into the ocean thats when I noticed it wasnt working so I think the hole is clogged and will try and clean it. Sorry no extra speedometers with me. Hope you were joking.

7. sparky_wap

sparky_wap Junior Member

Alpha drive

A buddy has an alpha drive like yours. The leading edge of the lower vertical section has a small hole which clogs up. It might easy be to flush this out from the line off the back of the gauge. Easy on the pressure, you don't want to blow off the small hose in the drive leg. Worst case, you could add a transom pitot tube pictured earlier in the thread and bypass the factory pick-up. I'm not sure how much water would get into the boat at speed if the old line suddenly cleared and was not plugged.

8. Anasazi

Anasazi New Member

With the drive tilted all the way up, if you peak in near the bellows you you should see a speedo hose coming from the transom assembly. It has a quick connect fitting. This slips over a male fitting on the lower unit near the large front horizontal zinc plate. You can easily disconnect there if necessary.

You might try carefully working a small diameter drill bit by hand to clear the speedo hole. I think you've already located it now a few inches above the bullet in the leading edge of your alpha gen II lower unit, right?

If you can't detect a blockage in the pickup hole, make sure the tube is clear and if still no go, see if the speedo moves with a gentle blow of air into the hose.

Attached Files:

9. mediator

mediator Junior Member

This was a tremendous help where did you find this picture. Makes a lot more sense now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.