Speedometer not working

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by thebassn8tr, Sep 29, 2006.

1. thebassn8tr

thebassn8tr Junior Member

Let me start off by saying that I have a yamaha 4 stroke 40hp F40TLRY. My speedometer is not working. When I turn the key it moves. I know it is getting power. But it does not move with any speed variance. My RPM gauge works perfect. BTW, I have no knowledge about outboards but I don't mind getting greasy. Pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

What sort of speedo sender do you have? Most small boats just use a water pressure pitot tube which does not require any electrics. However they usually fail because the tube becomes kinked or blocked

Good Luck
    Hugh Mattos C.Eng. M.I.Mech.E.

www.explorermarine.co.uk

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

bassn8tr, (cool name btw, lol): Speedos are almost never mounted on the motor itself; they simply wouldn't work there because of the prop. Look for a cable down the transom to a plastic or metal bracket a couple of inches long, hanging down from the transom. This is the speedo pickup, and it is notoriously prone to damage and clogging. If anything other than water gets in it, the speedo stops working.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.