Spare Engine Mounted In Bowrider

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by ACHALAT, Nov 25, 2004.

1. ACHALAT

ACHALAT Junior Member

I'm a first time boater and i'm thinking of buying a 19ft bowrider
    this will either be searay 185 sport or bayliner 195 BR.
    It might sound silly but I'm wondering whether there is a choice
    to mount a spare engine probably OB in the event the I/O fails to start.
    I mean as a safety precaution is there a kit in the market to allow you
    mount an auxiliary OB?
    please do not lough with my question it is just I'm very worried of what do you do in case you are in the middle of nowhere and your engine fails to start.
    I plan to boat in salt waters.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can use a lifting bracket (commonly seen on sailboat transoms) or a fixed height bracket. Both will be directly attached to the transom, the lifting bracket can be handy to raise and lower the engine clear, the fixed bracket will require the tilting features of the outboard be used to get the engine clear.

Log on to one of the marine outlets web sites (like West Marine) and have a look. There are several options and configurations available. Generally the fixed mount is the least costly. The transom arrangements on the boat you do get will be the limiting factor. In other words buy the boat and then find a bracket to suit your needs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.