skiff conversion

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by pasty63, Jan 2, 2008.

1. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

I would like a 16 to 18 ft open boat to carry camping gear and 2 to 3 crew on trips up into inlets on the coast of BC - perhaps even southeast AK at some point. During the summer, we look forward to taking our 32ft cruiser up to the Broughtons or maybe even around the corner to Rivers Inlet, but find the 10 ft avon dink too small and under powered to make any excursions. It's nice to find a good anchorage and let the "big" boat sit while we go hiking or wildlife watching. Many of our friends tow whalers - but I find them a bit wet (and expensive). I am pondering the idea of picking up a outboard run-about in the 17 ft range and removing the windshield, seating and any soft surfaces - then build in a helm further aft with a large open space forward for a folding canvas enclosure. I think a boat with a closed bow would be a good candidate - as it would be a nice place to stow gear. I would like to be able to cruise at 20 kts with fair efficiency - so maybe one of the newer injected 4 strokes in 60 or 70 hp would be the power option. Has anyone performed a conversion like this - any suggestions?

2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Why not a Center Console fishing boat, just add bow enclosure? There are a lot of CC boats less expensive than the Whalers.

Kelly Cook

3. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

4. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

That looks like a great book! I'm starting to look more toward a tiller controlled boat as I will always have gear or crew that I can place forward to balance the load for planing. The console it seems, no matter where it's placed, takes up too much room in a small boat.

-.b

5. sal's Dad

I don't really understand center consoles, but then I have never had one.

There are lots of little tricks for weight distribution - I use an extension handle, of black platic pipe... Moving crew and/or cargo around (a long gas hose can do wonders).

Getchell addresses this kind of thing, and puts a good dose of common sense back into boating. I give this book as a gift to friends getting into boats.

Sal's Dad

1 person likes this.
  6. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

I have had a 14 ft Alumacraft with 18hp Evinrude that we've been using on lakes in the area for a long time. Its bottom is too flat, and freeboard is limited - so it's not the best open water/inlet boat. It has been around since 1967 though, which got me to thinking about a new Alumacraft. The Classic Camp series is a nice, deep, wide boat.

http://alumacraft.com/deluxe-tiller-steering-boats/classic-camp-165-new.php

I like the tiller model - and I think the modified deep v bottom and 50hp capability make it a boat to look at a bit closer.

I'm not sure how it would pull behind the big boat though - that would have to be an element of a sea trial.

-.b

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

8. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

I received my copy of the "Outboard Boater's Handbook" this week. It is an awesome resource! I'm having a lot of fun drawing up mod's to any boat I might eventually get. Thanks to Sal's Dad for the recommendation.

9. sal's Dad

OK, you liked my first suggestion. Here are two more:

Phil Bolger's books and articles - I think "Boats with an Open Mind" is the only one now in print. Even if you don't care for his famous Boxes, the premises that he starts with - that boats should be simple, inexpensive, and use the least power practicable for the application - his clear analysis and presentation, and "out-of-the-box" (so to speak) solutions will change the way you think about small boats.

Before people here jump down my throat on this, I will say: Bolger's aesthetic sensibilities are not to everyone's tastes. Even he acknowledges they can be ugly ducklings. But if you are thinking about small boats for specialized applications, you shouldn't dismiss his insights. For your application, I would suggest you take a look at Diablo and Diablo Grande; plans are available from Payson's website. I have a customized Diablo for 12-month use in Maine; it's not perfect, but damned near, and my wife wants me to build a new one in aluminum.

The second suggestion is a magazine - Messing About in Boats. I can't begin to describe it, so I will shamelessly steal the words of the late great Robb White (apologies to Wes and family, but you know where to find me!).

Sal's Dad

10. sal's Dad

OK, you liked my first suggestion. Here are two more:

Phil Bolger's books and articles - I think "Boats with an Open Mind" is the only one now in print. Even if you don't care for his famous Boxes, the premises that he starts with - that boats should be simple, inexpensive, and use the least power practicable for the application - his clear analysis and presentation, and "out-of-the-box" (so to speak) solutions will change the way you think about small boats.

Before people here jump down my throat on this, I will say: Bolger's aesthetic sensibilities are not to everyone's tastes. Even he acknowledges they can be ugly ducklings. But if you are thinking about small boats for specialized applications, you shouldn't dismiss his insights. For your application, I would suggest you take a look at Diablo and Diablo Grande; plans are available from Payson's website. I have a customized Diablo for 12-month use in Maine; it's not perfect, but damned near, and my wife wants me to build a new one in aluminum.

The second suggestion is a magazine - Messing About in Boats. I can't begin to describe it, so I will shamelessly steal the words of the late great Robb White (apologies to Wes and family, but you know where to find me!).

Sal's Dad

http://robbwhite.com/story.internet.html

11. bribrih

bribrih New Member

Take a look at this boat

I think I know of a boat that is like what you are looking for. go to www.siestaskiff.com and check out there model 173. it's an open boat with a little side console and lots of room. Hope it helps

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.