Single Diesel Sportfisher?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Corpus Skipper, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Does anyone own or know of single diesel sport fishing boats? I am convinced this is the way to fly in our Gulf of Mexico "washing machine" where the seas usually run 3-4 feet, steep and close, moving in several directions at once. My 26' Chris Craft is a great boat, but doesn't handle the choppy stuff well on plane. anything more than 15 knots and she'll beat herself apart. Unfortunately this is the most inefficient speed for my boat. Thought about changing over to diesel power, but I think it's too costly and requires too much modification. Much better to buy one already equipped, but I can't find one! Shamrock is the only inboard diesel in the 26' size range I can find, but I can't give up my 10' beam (Shamrock is only8'6''). Everything else has twins, and is priced way out of reach. Help!!!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Carolina sportfishermen are built with single engines. Usually these are run by professional captains. It takes a bit more knowledge to maneuver in tight marinas.

3. Corpus Skipper

These are all custom built boats? Albemarle is the only production boat I can find that fits the bill (but with stern drives). Do you know of any other production boats?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, Duffy&Duffy make single engine lobster boats. They are a semidisplacement hull of about the same performance as a Shamrock. Check them out at atlanticboats.com

5. raceday

raceday Junior Member

6. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

single diesel sportfisher

Blackfin built a really fine express with a 3208 Cat Turbo.
    ran well and economical to boot

7. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

What size are you looking for..Captain Squib boat works has two going on right now, A 42fter and a 56fter.he is putting singles in both.Lenard can buld any size you want. The trend(on the coast) now is to put 2 eng. in the boats. Competition is to the piont where the extra 10 to 15 knots means more paying customers during the season.

8. Palmer

Palmer Junior Member

"Shamrock is the only inboard diesel in the 26' size range I can find, but I can't give up my 10' beam (Shamrock is only8'6'')."

Shamrock's 27 is 9'-3" Beam.

9. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

How bout' this?

9' 6" beam

[​IMG]

10. Corpus Skipper

Thanks, but WAY too big.
    Thanks, but outta my po-boy price range.
    Nomad, that's a looker, but Momma doesn't approve of open boats, she's spoiled by the relatively large cabin on our flybridge. I think I'm just gonna rip out the twin Crusaders and convert her to a single diesel. Those OPEC types are crimping my style with a 135 gallon belly to feed at over 2 bucks a gallon, so a new boat is out of the question. Thanks again everyone for all your input. :D

11. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Corpus.... Also offered with a Cuddy Cabin and a House. We are currently working on the first boat with a house. There are pictures on www.UglyBoatInc.com

12. tiki36695

tiki36695 New Member

Why not?

As a 26 foot Shamrock owner, I'll throw in my 2 cents....

I think the reason the Shammy deals with the chop so well is its relativeley narrow beam for its length. The design boys here can tell you if I'm wrong or not. Yeah, I'd love a couple feet wider, but I've learned to live with it. Especially when going through the same kind of "washing machine" chop you mentioned.

Anyways, I'm thinkin you might want to check out some of the Lobstah boat syle hulls that you see advertised in the back of National fisherman... Duffy comes to mind for some reason.

13. Corpus Skipper

Yeah, lobster boat is the way to go I think. I'm in the boat building biz now, and eventually I'm gonna build myself one. Gotta stick with the Chris for now, though she's now a "dock yacht". Fuel is WAAAAAAYYYYYY too #@$# high now. No fishing, no diving :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.