shrimp boat conversion

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Harry, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Harry

Harry Guest

I'm looking into getting 35'-40' bay shrimper, preferably wood, to strip down and use as a cruiser. Does anybody know anything about converting old shrimp boats or where I might be able to find any plans or other information? Anything at all would be helpful. Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Converting an old fishing boat into a cruiser is not too complicated. First decide how much of the existing accomodations you want to keep. Most of the deck gear will get removed and also the fish hold. The you get to design an interior in the extra space. If you have doubts about how to go about it, hiring someone to do it for you may be a good option. I am in the Great Lakes area, but can work with drawings or photos. Good luck.

3. Harry

Harry Guest

Thanks, Gonzo. Initially all I plan on doing is getting all the gear off the deck and turning the shrimp hold into a small cabin--nothing fancy just a berthing area with a window unit air conditioner to keep it comfortable. I don't want it to crowd the boat, and would like to avoid having the cabin's roof extend more than about three feet above the deck. My main question is whether this would be possible with a shallow-draft shrimp boat, or whether I would need to find a high-sided, deeper vee shrimper for cabin in the hold to be feasible.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Most bay shrimper's holds are on deck, at least around here. Hulls are pretty shallow, even engine rooms have a cover protruding above the deck. You'd have to build a house on deck for any cabin space. No plans around that I know of. The few I've seen here are custom jobs. If you're in the Corpus Christi area, I can do this type of work.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Considering all the top hamper you are removing-net reels , outriggers, etc.- an extension to the cabin shouldn't affect the balance. If you can, weigh all the stuff you remove and use that as a guide to what you'll have to add.

6. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

shrimp boat

Before you start on the conversion you better check closely the condition of the boat.I just looked at one in North Carolina,lapstrake.Beautiful lines from the bank, but up close a nightmare.People making a living will do all sorts of stuff to go out one more time.The planking had been refastened so many times(with steel!)there was no more wood left.Cheap wood in the cabin rotting,ten coats of latex house paint peeling,gallons of gel coat mopped around the floor and holds failed to cover the creeeping black of rot. The small diesel looked pretty good,I imagine this will be salvaged when the rest of this once elegant boat is hauled and burned. :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.