Shift Problem

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Logan1500, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Logan1500

Logan1500 Junior Member

I hope someone can help....

I am having some problems getting my outdrive back into nuetral after running WOT.

When I am running at idle speed in the harbor it comes out of forward gear with more ease but is still somewhat sticky.

I have a mercruiser alpha one outdrive. (1985, 3.0, 140hp)

Do i need to replace or re-lubricate the shift cable or the throttle cable?

Thanks for looking.

John

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Check that the cable adjustment is correct, that the shift mechanism doesn't have too much slack, and that the shift interrupt switch works and is adjusted correctly.

3. Logan1500

Logan1500 Junior Member

Gonzo:
    Thanks for your input. Can the adjustment to the cable be done on land or does it need to be done on the water? What is the best way to adjust it? and finally, can you tell me a little bit about how to check and adjust the shift interupt switch?

Again, thanks for your input and knowledge........

John S.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The shift interrupt cuts the ignition momentarily to help release the clutch dog. To test it, run the engine end push on the switch. It should make the engine hesitate or stall. The intermediate cable base adjustment is six inches from the center of the adjusting barrel to the center of the end with the drive in forward gear. Adjust the cable to that, put the shifter in forward, and then the cable shoud slide into the pin in the shifter/ shift interrupt switch mechanism. If it doesn't, adjust the cable coming from the shifter box until it does. I hope this helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.