Seeking Info on 1979 Aqualark Outboard

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Aqualarker, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

I have just purchased a 1979 Aqualark hull that needs TLC. I can't find info on the WWW about the boat such as specs, power limits, etc. Does anyone have any information on either the boat or where to get information on it? Any info will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

Hello Aqualarker, have you put together any information yet? I am compiling a website of mini jet boats and have included the jetlark, which is the jet powered model of the aqualark. I would love any information you come across so I can add it to my website, any chance I can get some pictures?
    Andrew
    www.minijetboat.com look in the gallery section.

3. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

One Measly Image

Actually, you are the first reply to the post. I have contacted folks who listed Aqua- and Jetlarks for sale, but nobody has responded. I did manage to find one picture of a Jetlark on this site, and of an Aqualark on Yahoo.com, in the classified ads. I can send you a copy of that, and if you like, when my boat is looking a little spiffier I will gladly make a few images for you to use. Let me know.

Richard

4. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

Excellent, I'd like any pictures you can come up with..

5. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

Aqualark Image

Attached is the one image I have found so far. Also, I tried the link to your page but it did not work.

Aqualark.jpg

6. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

website

try it again, I had it up and down yesterday installing new software.

-a

7. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

oh, yeah, I've seen that, seems like a lot of hp for that little boat..

a

8. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

Lot of horsepower. . . .

The guy I bought the boat from said that he was in the boat business and that the boat can take up to 40 horses, so long as the engine is relatively light (like the old Chrysler OB's). That's one of the things I am trying to work out: The capacity plate is missing and I want to know what to put on it. I am thinking between 25 and 35 hp, and trying to keep engine weight below 120 lbs.

9. RockLaker

RockLaker Previous Member

Hello Aqualarker and Lordbater,

I stumbled across this while searching for info as well on my new Aqua-Lark. I just bought it in January, and know nothing about it. However, I was told by another fellow online that he believes that Aqua-Larks are extremely rare in that only 14 of them were made. Yes, I said 14.

Mine is an ugly yellow and is in bad need for a restoration. The motor that I got it with is a 1993 Oil-injected Merc 35. I found somewhere else online a guy who claims that his Aqua-Lark with a tuned 25 Merc and a 19" pitch 3 blade prop did 49.1 mph on radar. So I hope my 35 will beat that! ...though it personally sounds like a longshot to me...

I have taken a picture of the restrictions plate and I'll post it soon for you Aqualarker. You may be pleased to know that it says : "WHEN THIS BOAT IS ENGAGED IN, OR IN PREPARATION FOR, RACING IT IS EXEMPT FROM THE RECOMMENDED LIMITATIONS OTHERWISE APPLICABLE TO THE LOAD AND HORSEPOWER."

I also found somewhere else one with an '89 Evinrude 65. That sounds ridiculous to me personally, but would be incredible. It has an 80lb. lead counterweight on the bow.

Here's a link to that one:

http://www.geocities.com/calumetmarinesport/boats/boats.htm

I too would like as much info on these boats as possible. If you guys come across anything else, please post it on here or email me at biteme20 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks and good luck!

Chris

10. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours. . . .

I would love to see the capacity plate of your boat, as well as whatever images you have of the interior, fittings, exterior, graphics, etc. I'll be happy to take and post photos of mine as well. Still looking for that perfect powerplant, and think that 80 lb. lead weights aside, 35 to 40 hp and <130 lbs is the sweet spot. Bear in mind that I plan to locate the battery (if any) in the forward of the cockpit, which should go a long way toward balancing that much engine and 48 lbs of fuel.

11. RockLaker

Here are some pics of the boat. As you can see, it's painted in the most God-awful ugly colours and I can't wait to paint it a normal colour. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm guessing that's not the original paint because nowhere on it does it have a brand name or model name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RockLaker

Well, unfortunately it turns out that it's not an Aqua-Lark at all. I still don't know what it is, or how old it is, so if anyone has an idea, please let me know.

I had somebody tell me that it looks like a "Water Mouse" that Disney rents on their resort in the mid to late 70s.

Anybody hear of these or know anything about them?

13. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

Mercury made or makes the Water Mouse. When I was first looking for info on the Aqualark I ran into lots of info on the WM. Also, the guy I bought my boat from knew about the WM and told a little about it. He was not impressed with its performance. One thing that makes the Aqualark stand out from both your boat and the WM is the nearly cathedral hull of the Aqualark. A Water Mouse has a modified "V". Also, the WM, at least the newer ones, don't have a flat transom, but rather the hull sides extend past the engine mount. That's about all I know.

14. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

Boat

On your picture, what does it say the manufacturer name is?

-andrew

15. danzima

danzima Junior Member

Aqualarks

I have purchased a couple of these fiberglass hulls. This is a result of my enjoyment with my Mercury Watermouse. At one time,there was an unsponsored website of the Watermouse,but the owner has closed it...on his website was some info about the Aqualark. The Aqualark was a predecessor that had been rentals in the Disney theme parks,before the Watermouse. Another plastic boat called the Sprite did not hold up so well...but the fiberglass Aqualark was successful since it can comfortably hold larger individuals and take a powerful engine. Some have said up to 40HP,which is quite fast...be cautious of the powerful torque,or the boat can flip. But at 25HP I have a Yamaha which is nice for SCUBA diving solo,or fishing with my son (we are quite larger folks!)...At minimum,I suggest 10HP but 15 and up is OK. It is nice to be able to rig your choice engine. Anyone else have similar successful project boats? I think these are nice easy well constructed and easily modified to your own needs. There is little to be found on this boat,the original maker is no longer...If anyone has info,I wanted to keep archives for awhile-I tried the website owner,but maybe his link does not work anymore (that is,the Watermouse)-but it is nice to see other Larkers lurking about! I hope to see more info,I will keep looking to this postboard-Matt in NJ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.