Seeking Info on 1979 Aqualark Outboard

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Aqualarker, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Virginia larker

Virginia larker New Member

It may not be, I remember seeing a brochure once with three or four different larks, the outboard, the inboard, and the jet. As far as i remember. I just had my ignition coils go out on mine but i found a used set, and im fired up and ready to GO!!!

To the guy who is skiing behind his lark....

Does it really pull up all that easy? I have a 20hp on mine, and with two people takes some coaxing to get up on plane, but once it does, she does 35mph. Im really interested in what kind of prop you have on there, Ive been thinking about trying a few different props on mine to see if i can bump up the top speed.

Anyone else have the need for speed on one of these?

2. fred padgett

fred padgett New Member

is it an Aqualark or what?

Guys, can anyone help me out. I purchased this boat this summer, and cannot determine what make it is. It measures 10Ft. long. Currently it has an older 40 Horse Merc. on it. I checked with the Wisconsin DNR as it was last registered there in 1981, and all they show is manufacure unkown. I have looked high and low on this boat and there is not MFR. plate anywhere. Any help you can provide is appreicated.

Attached Files:

3. lordbater

lordbater Pimp!

4. fred padgett

fred padgett New Member

unidentified mini boat

Thanks Andrew, but I have already sent a similar email to Fiberglassics as well as a couple of other hydroplane and racing websites, with similar replies. everyone seems to like the way it looks, but no one remembers seeing one, or knows who might have made it. Anyways, I am in the process of cleaning it up, as it was pretty dirty when I got it, then I have to install a starter and see if the Ole' 40 merc. still runs. (its supposed to )

If you find anything or hear anything let me know.

Thanks again

5. fijjity

fijjity New Member

Aqua Lark

Bought a Pink one at a yard sale today-$500
    PRISTINE!!!
    Will post pics ASAP
    Tried to email Danzima and Aqua Hawk and got a reject.....would like more info

Would be interested in Fred Padgett's if you want to sell. I am more into tunnel hulls and yours is SWEET!!

6. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Damn. Way to annoy the rest of us, noob. Well, okay, you can be our friend if you get those pics posted.

7. swhobie

swhobie Junior Member

This is great info in this thread on Aqua Larks

Hello there! I am in Virginia and have recently purchased one of these boats. I need some information please. My Serial number plate on the top right corner of the transom (just under the rubrail) says Hull No KMC 0056 0374. The 0374 means march of 1974, the 0056 is the serial number (hull number 56) and I believe the KMC means Kamco. Mine is registered as a Kamco in Virginia. I have not seen Kamco listed in the thread but Zamco and Tamco have been mentioned. I am just trying to get information about these boats. I bought this to take my Grandson's out in a boat they will eventually be driving themselves.

Mine has a 9.8 Mercury and I really have to lean forward to get up on a plane and then I can run at 19 mph. I weigh 210 lbs and worry that with kids in boat with me it will not plane out. I have seen in this thread much larger motors being used. Are these boats safe much horsepower and weight on the transom? I am going to add a Zoel Fin (whale tail) to see if that helps.

I have attached pictures of my new toy. The grandsons have not seen it yet but I hope to have them out soon. They are 6 and 3 years old.

Attached Files:

8. Aqualarker

Aqualarker Junior Member

I have a 28hp on the back of mine, with a full sized doel fin, which makes all the difference with getting the boat on plane. It will run about 30 with me (185 lbs) and two seven year olds @ 50 lbs each. If I had been able to find a suitable 2 stroke short shaft 20 hp, I would have gone that route and saved quite a bit of weight. The engine I have is an electric start commercial type engine that is built on the OMC 30 hp block, so I also have a starter battery (pretty much full size) in the boat as well. Between the design of the boat and the doel fin I have never had it chine walk on me, even at speed.

9. swhobie

swhobie Junior Member

Thanks for the info

Looks like you are also in Ruchmond VA. How about contacting me at boatseller3200@yahoo.com and we can discuss these fun boats.

Thanks

10. picproinc

picproinc New Member

another Kamco

Here is the Kamco I just bought this fall, and according to swhobie's vin number breakout, its a May 1976 build with serial number 135. It has a 25 horse Merc with fins and has gone up on plane with 2 - 175 pound people in about 50 feet or so. An absolute fun blast boat. My friend just bought a 1981 Jet Lark off ebay yesterday in great shape and will bring it home today!

Attached Files:

11. picproinc

picproinc New Member

correction to last post

make that a 20 HP Mercury!

12. picproinc

picproinc New Member

13. swhobie

swhobie Junior Member

I guess I will have to repower my Aqua Lark

After reading all of the posts after mine, I believe re-powering is in the cards for me. I put the whale-tail (Zoel Fin) and it comes up on plane without having to lean forward over the front. I weigh 210 and just don't think the mercury 9.8 HP will plane out with the two grandsons.

I will be looking for a 20 or 25 HP this winter. A 4-stroke would be quiet but the weight may be an issue.

14. Sealarker

Sealarker New Member

Guys,
    To anyone looking for information and old literature on the Aqua, Jet, Electra, and sea larks I have tons of it. My Grandfather Carl Kollin Designed and build these boats for the Tamco Company In Windsor Ontario Canada. My Grandfather and my father both worked for the company as boat builders and testers. When the company was sold and moved to Baltimore our Family moved with the company to help set up and assist in the building of the boats at the new factory.
    I think that it is great that there is so much interest in these little boats as I also have a great love for these fun little rides. My Grandfather left me one deck and hull that he built and I am just finally now starting to put it together 20+ years later. The deck and hull have never been assembled so needless to say I am sure there is going to be some parts that I will need some help tracking down. Rub Rail, Grab handles, just to name a few off the top of my head. I have tons of old Pictures as well as the original sales brochures from the Tamco company in Windsor Ontario. I would love to help out the gentelman that was trying to start a website about these boats in any way I can. Feel free to let me know if anyone has any old parts for a side by side Aqua lark outboard as I would love to purchase them from you. As soon as I can I will start to post some of the many old Pictures that infromation that I have to share with all the other lovers of these great little boats.

15. swhobie

swhobie Junior Member

Sounds like the motherload of history on Aqua Larks

Hello Sealarker, it is great that your family has saved and preserved all the information on these neat little boats. As I am considering a re-power of my Aqua Lark from 9.8 HP Mercury to something larger, I really would love to see original spec sheets, sales brochures etc. to get a feeling as to what your dad and grand-dad thought these boats could be powered with. If you can post that info, that would be great or if it becomes part of a website, please post here and let us know. If you have it scanned and want to email it, Please send to me at pennburke@comcast.net

Thanks and have a great day!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.