Seeking Info on 1979 Aqualark Outboard

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Aqualarker, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Top_Notch

Top_Notch New Member

I just picked up a 1973 Aqua Lark "Sport". The manufacture of mine was "Tamco" and the boat does not have the hatch for the gasoline. The boat has a fold down bench seat. I'v also seen two separate seats. The rental boats had a hatch and hard molded seats. There is flotation foam in the sides of the boat.

My boat is pretty original so I assume the bench seat is original. Power comes by way of an Evinrude 15hp. I need to check the year of the engine but I think it is from 1978. I have the original sales receipt and the cost was $420 back in 1974 when it was purchased.

I would like to see any literature posted to this thread about Aqua Larks in general. Perhaps I can post the original purchase receipt.

I have yet to detail it out, but here is what it looked like as purchased. It looks identical to the previous posted Lark by Virginia Larker. I have a mooring cover (not shown) but noticed we have different snap mounts on our boats. I also have no gauges. The motor is not yet mounted. The registration last expired in 1978!

I love the look of the chrome and white steering. Very vintage.

[​IMG]

2. wiseplayer

wiseplayer New Member

scramjet

I have one and alot of spare parts, if you need anything call mark 520 661 7718

3. mack505

mack505 Junior Member

Just Found My Aqua Lark

I just found an Aqua Lark, finally. Been looking for about a year. As you can see its a bit of a project. I think I have all the lines and steering cables, but I don't know how they all connect yet.

Questions:
    1) Can someone post, or email me pics of the cables and how they hook up?
    2) It came without any seat(s). Any ideas on what to put in?
    3) Behind the seat: It looks like I have a bilge and there are brackets for other stuff. Does anyone have pics of what that area should look like and a list of what goes back there?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Top_Notch

Top_Notch New Member

Behind my seat is nothing but the gas tank. No bilge. There is a spring on a rope to hold the gas tank in place. Other than flotation foam there is nothing back there.
    [​IMG]

Here is a good shot of the steering. Note the bracket the heim joint attaches to. The shifter is on the left in this picture, the throttle on the right.
    [​IMG]

The throttle was the hardest part. I removed the tiller arm. The throttle is the black and gold cable.
    [​IMG]

The shifter cable is a snap to put in place. The bracket really made hookups easy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boat goes fast but I think it'd go better with a 20-25hp. Here it is in comparison to my 18' speedboat with 302 V8 Power. Big brother really goes like snot so maybe I'm spoiled speedwise.
    [​IMG]

5. mack505

mack505 Junior Member

Awesome!

Thanks Top_Notch! Do you have any more detail on the interior, the seat and floor specifically?

The person before me had the green astroturf on the floor, but no idea on what to do for seats yet. Thanks!!

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

Hey.

There is one of those Aqualarks in a pile of junk outside and old farmhouse up here in Saco,MAine

I knew a guy who had one down on a lake in Westford, MAss and he had a 35 HP on his. he kept it in a garage in his lakehouse and it was mint. Thisnk he wanted to sell it for $1,000 but not many people interested. wonder if he still has it?

You cold make it look really cool by putting a Buccaneer Outboard on it!

[​IMG]

7. rusty929

rusty929 Junior Member

Aqua Lark Broschure - Australia 1980s

Hi mini speedboaters,
    I have only ever seen two of these little beauties here in South Australia, the first was at the annual Adelaide boat show in the 1980s where I picked up the broschure attached below when I was a child. The second Aqua Lark was owned by a bloke I worked with a few years back and his brother, I will have to track him down and seee if they want to sell it, or at least get some photos of it. Has anyone in America still got any sales literature which they can upload?

Attached Files:

8. Top_Notch

Top_Notch New Member

Mack, the interior of my boat is just painted fiberglass. I am planning on adding some indoor/outdoor carpeting or something similar.
    [​IMG]

As for the seat, the bench folds up....
    [​IMG]

and then folds forward.
    [​IMG]

The seat is attached with 2 piano type hinges to the bottom. (This view is from the stern looking towards the bow. The seat folds backwards as seen from the above pictures) The bracket attaches to the leading (front) edge of the seat to allow it to fold forward in order to place the gas tank in the back.
    [​IMG]

If I was you, I'd add in a couple of boat seats which can be secured with a couple of well placed screws. One could even use go cart seats or search craigslist/ebay for some used padded boat seats. Making your own bench seat wouldn't be too difficult either. I hope this helps you get another aquarlark into operational condition.

9. mdonzi

mdonzi New Member

wow top notch that is one good looking boat im working on one now for my 11 year old we had them in the 70s and the were a blast i had a inboard and others had outboards with 20 or 25 hp made by kamco im looking for and inboard eng and drive for one now omc if any one has one if you ever like to sell that blue boat let me know love to have it i will try to post some pic off the old boats

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Whats the length and do you know the weight without engine.

11. co_bond

co_bond New Member

TAMCO Company

I am also under the impression that TAMCO of Windsor also made Fishing Reels, oddly enough. Sealarker if you are out there, I would love to find out any information on this topic as my friend believes the original owner of TAMCO was a german fellow with a last name of KEWTHER or KEUTHER.

Thanks

1 person likes this.
  12. kereliuk

kereliuk Kereliuk

13. kartracer

kartracer New Member

I have found a Sea Lark jet drive here in Louisiana. It is Beecher made in Beecher IL. Have never seen any Larks down this way.She needs some,well alot, of TLC and a few parts. I need the rack and cables for the steering. Any idea where to start looking or should I buy a whole new steering set up.

14. SnoXr

SnoXr Junior Member

Ok, so heres what I have. Ive had this for over 20 years, bought it in the late 80's. Not sure if its an Aqua Lark or not because it doesnt seem to have the obvious body contours that most of the Larks pictured seem to have. Like the one up the front of the bow(race stripe) and the one on the on the panel just behind the the seating area.

But I do remember it having what looked like faded out bird looking decals on it before I painted it?!?!?

Having trouble uploading pics, will upload soon

15. SnoXr

SnoXr Junior Member

Pics of my son the day we dragged it out of storage. He never saw it before and got pretty excited when we drug it out and put it on the trailer

The "Bad Boy" Decal on the bow give you an idea when I bought and painted it!! lol

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.