Searching for fuel efficient powerboat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Chuck Losness, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

This is no stranger or odd to what I have in mind!!!! Seems like my idea is not so out of the box after all.......if you all have been keeping up with my silly notions....:D

2. Guido

Guido Junior Member

New low speed planing boat

Dear all,
    here is a new high efficiency boat claimed from baumarine (www.baumarine.it).
    [​IMG]
    It looks similar to a fast sailing boat with a wide stern. I've some doubt about how much it can be a dry boat.
    I'd appreciate very much your technical comments on it.
    Kindly regards

Guido

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Labeling something "Green" does not make it so.....it seems as big a misnomer as their "Lobster" line which appear to come from the tennis shoe school of design.

A 35' with 340 installed HP is nothing new and it certainly is not green, whatever that might mean. A 47' with 700HP is about as far from green as one could imagine. With all that power one assumes some speed is intended, the running trim of such hulls will be interesting. How are these boats "high efficiency", I see no performance claims at all, only a lot of engine choices.

4. liki

liki Senior Member

I took note that with the 2 advertised "aft cabins" in the layout, the hull certainly has to be quite deep and wide aft.

5. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

I see nothing special regarding those boats. Guido is from Italy, my guess is we just got spammed.

6. Guido

Guido Junior Member

Tad,
    I've found an article where they claim for the 47 (with 2x250cv) a 21 knots of maximum speed and a 13 knots minimum planing speed. I'll try to ask them some data/hull design in order to share with all you to have more comments on it.
    Red, I'm sorry but i didn't understand your post, why do you mention spamming?

7. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

calling the Baumarine "green" is a bit as adding a solar panel to a Maserati to power the radio and then call it an hybdrid car.

2 people like this.
  8. Guido

Guido Junior Member

As I promised attached are some more information on their boats. You'll find also in the .zip file a video of a Stefini Fast Sail Motor sailing at 18 Knots. Baumarine hulls are derivated from this project.
    I look forward to have your technical comments about it.

Guido

Attached Files:

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I disagree with Tad about the "shoe design" remark, because I don't find that lobster ugly at all. Several things I would have done differently, but it all depends on one's personal approach to boating and evaluation of the market demands.

About the "green" aspect of their Green line, I do agree with Taniwha. It takes courage to label as "green" a vessel pushed by 250-300 HP engines, but still it is a leap forward if we consider the past tendencies for the boats of this size. Baumarine's Green models are relatively low DLR hulls, considering their size and intended use, which explains the lower power requirements for the target speed.

How much dry can these boats be? The fine bows do not necessarily makes them excessively wet boats, it will depend on the distribution of mass - which we do not know.

Cheers

10. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Looking at the drawings, my first impression was that the boat might be rather a handful in a following sea. The boat from which it derived, looks a bit awkward even in the relatively calm conditions shown in the video. Very fine forward sections, with little in the way of reserve buoyancy and big, wide, flat aft sections are not conducive to good handling when running down wind.
    As Daiquiri said... it gets its relative efficiency courtesy of be quite light, but the same efficiency could be gained from a more suitable hullform IMHO

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Yeah, there's this wall of water at the bow climbing up the hull walls, typical of sailboats. Strange they didn't put a chine or at least an amount of bow flare, to counter that effect.
    Perhaps they wanted to re-use the moulds of their sailboat hull?

12. seadreamer6

seadreamer6 Junior Member

I think your 3000 lbs for gear makes sense. 100 g of fuel would be about 800 lbs, say 50 gal of water adds 400 lbs, 50 gal of waste water another 400 lbs, anchor and chain about another 150, add 300 for you and a mate equals 2050lbs. That leaves about 950 lbs for food, clothing, dishes, tools, spare parts, etc etc.

I'm a novice here and very much appreciate the info you experienced folks offer.

I am looking for a boat very much like what you want but didn't know enough to factor in the ability to carry a reasonable cruising load. If a craft claims 8 mpg at its dwl at a given speed you have no way of knowing what it will actually be if it's overloaded just to get the basics for cruising on board.

Thanks to your discussion I now have a reasonable yardstick to use... hull weight plus 3000 lbs must be less then the dwl displacement.

So on with the search for the perfect lady.

13. Guido

Guido Junior Member

They say that their hulls come from Fast Sail Motor but are optimized for a power boat and they added spray rails to prevent the problem of water climbing up at the bow.

14. ava333

ava333 Junior Member

Xenocraft X-50

If you are still looking for a VERY fuel efficient powerboat, I've designed and built one that you might be interested in. It is a multihull, and a trimaran specifically. But, it has much more spacious accommodations than conventional trimarans, and it designed more or less exclusively for motoring. It is long and relatively wide, but very light. It gets a minimum of 13 mpg. This figure will almost certainly be increased as more accurate mileage tests are conducted. You can see it at www.xenocraft.com

15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Good Website reference

I was just looking thru this subject thread and I wanted to thank you Sabahcat for bringing this website to my attention again. I had lost track of it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.