Sea Rayder Upgrade

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Beverlwr, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Beverlwr

Beverlwr New Member

I have a 1994 Sea Ray Sea Rayder with a 90hp Mercury Sport Jet Engine. I am trying to determine if I can upgrade to 120hp without rebuilding the boat.

2. Becky Lamb

Becky Lamb Guest

I also have just purchased a 94 se rayder with 90hp sport jet. I am having problems with it and can't find a good mechanic. it won't start in neutral, losses power when turning and very slow take off. if you find that you can put a larger engine in it and where it can be bought, please email me!
    Thank you

3. faro

faro New Member

Sea Rayder engine change

I am a former owner of a 1995 Sea Rayder. I looked over both the 90 and 120 hp models before I bought the 90 hp version. As I recall there were three significant differences: (1) the engine cover on the 120 hp model had a bubble on top for clearance, (2) the 120 hp had added bracing around the engine, and (3) the jet drives had a different speed ratio. The third difference is a killer, and it is important. Without this change, it would be like upgrading a boat from 90 hp outboard to a 120 hp outboard and keeping the same propeller. Without that change you will see little if any difference in performance. I hope this helps.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.